Cracking down on tardiness

The last bell rings, then the heavy classroom doors are slammed closed on the faces of tardy students.

Thanks to the new tardy policy, this is a common occurance. Over the course of the past few weeks, hall sweeps have been occurring randomly throughout the school days. As an administrator comes over the PA system, teachers are directed to close their doors immediately after the ring of the last bell. Students, even a second late to class, are left outside the classroom door and receive varying punishments for their tardiness based on the circumstances.

The method is designed to prevent tardies and encourage students to arrive to class on time. Late students are forced to face the consequences of tardiness, including an automatic detention, with further punishments for kids who are consistently tardy. Detention slips are generated and given to administrators to manage the results of the hall sweeps.

“We are notified which kids are late,” said Assistant Principal Jennifer Knox, “and we see if there are repeats.”

The administration has seen a visible difference in the halls and students’ arrival to class on time. For now, the supervisors are keeping the sweeps limited to just the afternoon classes, as they see more tardies in the morning with kids’ common late arrivals to school.

“Other schools have tardy sweeps down pat and do them every period,” said Knox. “We feel that randomly is good enough right now.”

Like any system, the hall sweeps have positive and negative effects on students. Many feel that the hall sweeps help decrease tardies and instill better habits within the students, while others believe that they are not a fair way to handle tardiness.

“Some tardies can’t be avoided,” said junior Ossman Cassio, “and students shouldn’t be punished for what we can’t control.”

Several students are against the new system because they feel the punishments are too harsh. However, the consequences are having a positive effect on most kids as they feel more pressure to arrive in class on time and increase their time in the classroom with instruction.

“When my teachers give out detentions is when I know I don’t have time to goof off with friends for long and I have to go to class,” said freshman Haley Lipton.