One year later, Love’s legacy still bringing awareness to abuse

Love is not abuse.

The upcoming one-year anniversary of the death of UVA lacrosse player Yeardley Love has inspired the state and FCPS to require all high school and middle school students to learn about the dangers of abusive relationships.

On May 3, 2010 Love was found dead in her apartment with physical injuries covering her body. Later that day, police arrested Love’s on-and-off boyfriend George Huguely on first-degree murder charges.

“I think the whole scenario is absolutely sick and I can’t believe someone would do something that horrible to someone else,” said sophomore Justine Burke.

As upsetting as her death was, this unfortunate tragedy has brought to light the serious nature of abusive relationships.

Since this incident, the General Assembly and Senate have passed Senate Bill 906 that requires high schools to teach at least two lessons on the topics of abusive relationships and dating violence while middle schools will have to teach at least one lesson on the same issues.

The requirements of this bill will become Standards of Learning (SOLs) for counties across the state next year.

Fairfax County already meets the requirements of the bill and has been teaching students about dating violence and how to prevent this from happening.

Currently, the bill is waiting to be signed into state law by Governor Bob McDonnell.

“It just brings it to a new level of awareness,” said Physical Education teacher Sheri Frank. “With a wareness, it is uncertain if it impacts the actual number of instances.”

Though a study done in 2009 states that most secondary schools already meet the requirements of the bill, it is still pertinent that students are subjected to the material in order to become more aware of the possibilities of dating violence and abusive relationships.

“My concern is how Facebook and texting [affect] dating violence,” said Frank.

WS has taught about the dangers of abusive relationships in health classes in an effort to make the student body more knowledgeable of this issue.

Though the events of Love’s death have led to an increased awareness of abusive relationships and dating violence, Huguely’s terrible actions have still yet to be settled.

“[Hugely] deserves the death penalty, in my opinion,” said sophomore Kevin Murphy. “No one deserves to be treated the way she was. What he did was unacceptable, and if he doesn’t get the death penalty, he better be sentenced for life.”