The new centre of town

The new centre of town

Known for its outdated interior and as the scene of numerous law violations, Springfield Mall is taking on a new look as well as a new name. The mall, which is around forty years old, is attempting to regain the favor of its lost customers, and appeal to all ages under the title Springfield Town Center.
The Town Center will open its doors again to the public on October 17th with both commonly found stores, such as American Eagle and Forever 21, and other more unique ones such as Top Shop.
Appealing to a younger generation who currently shops at malls like Tyson’s Corner and Fair Oaks is no easy task, but the developers of Springfield Town Center have included many vendors that have the potential to draw in a plethora of teens.
Sophomore Sarah Woods used to go to Springfield mall every week, but when it closed she started going to Tyson’s Corner. Woods looks forward to the updated mall that once “look[ed] dirty and gross,” said Woods. Sophomore, Sai Kannanalso, also frequently went there.
“Some of the places were kinda like falling apart,” said Kannan.
Everyone has something they want from the new mall. Students like sophomore Katie Ballou are hoping for more options.
“A little bit more variety in stores,” said Ballou.
Another change that is wanted concerns the placement of the mall’s stores.
Kannan wants a design where “the stores aren’t secluded,” she said.
Mall security is expected to improve through the increase of security cameras. Additionally the mall will include a movie theatre designed with comfort in mind.
Despite the fact that the mall is opening again, it will still be under construction for about another ten years before it becomes Springfield Town Center. The new mall will stand out even if not completely finished, unlike the old one.
The Springfield Mall that is remembered by students “didn’t really have anything that made it different from other malls,” Kannan said.