New and improved Springfield Town Center pleases crowds

Goodbye, 30-minute drives up I-95, farewell heavy traffic winding though construction zones, so long backed-up exit ramps — you will not be missed.
A new generation is here for the people of the Springfield area. No longer do we have to make the trek to Tysons, Fair Oaks, or Potomac Mills just to get some shopping in. Now, we can head ten minutes up the street to Springfield Town Center, a newly renovated mall that caters to the WS, Hayfield, and Lee school districts. We’re big fans of the improvements made, and we’ll let you in on some secrets we discovered during opening weekend.

Regal Cinema: Perhaps the biggest draw to the mall is the movie theater. Springfield Mall is no longer a hotspot for sketchy activity, and it is actually possible to sit back, relax, and enjoy a two-and-a-half hour movie without being concerned for your safety. Or take a nap. Either is equally satisfying in reclining, double-arm-rested, double cup-holder seats, complete with foot rests. The spacious theaters have fewer seats than a typical jam-packed cinema, which means you don’t have to listen to the stranger behind you chew his popcorn, sip his drink, and shift in his seat. You have maximum foot room and maximum enjoyment. Tip: You can order your tickets online ahead of time. The website gives you the option to reserve seats in the theater, which is a bonus, despite the fact that you can’t really get a “bad” seat in this theater. It provides a more ‘personal’ movie-viewing experience.

Topshop: This name has been one of the most highly advertised retailers in the mall. Originally a European brand, a few stores have opened up in the US, one being at Springfield’s very own mall. The clothes are hip and funky, and there is pretty much something for everyone. They carry a nice mix of styles, ranging from luxury ratchet to R-rated classy, and just about everything in between. Tip: The clothes aren’t cheap. Be prepared to look for less expensive clothes on sale racks.Other clothing stores: The mall has a variety of stores, including J. Crew, H&M, and Forever 21. All are nicely kept (well at least the first weekend they were) and the employees are all helpful. The J. Crew already has a sale section (thank goodness), the H&M is like all other H&M’s that you have been in, and the Forever 21 is two levels (with an escalator running through the middle so your legs don’t get tired switching levels). They are mostly generic mall stores, but the difference between them and the ones at Tyson’s is that they are ten minutes down the street from your house. Win.

Dicks: Does this need a review? We all know it’s great. The fact that it’s right down Old Keene Mill makes it even better. Now the gift cards we get from all of our relatives who don’t know what else to get us won’t expire before we finally get around to spending them. The convenience couldn’t be better. Tip: Bring limited money. Otherwise you will spend it all. ALSO: Be sure to check your receipt before you leave the store. Their taxing system is not set properly and they have been known to overtax people.

Starbucks: A white girl’s dream: there are two Starbucks in the mall. One is in Target, and one is near the entrance of the mall. You can grab your caffeine and be energized in time to shop ‘till you drop. Quality strategizing. They carry all the same drinks as a regular Starbucks, despite them being located in kiosks. Tip: If you are the type of person to need caffeine when shopping, be sure to park near the entrance of the mall so you don’t have to walk very far to find a Starbucks. We wouldn’t want you to have to be inconvenienced by the distance from your car to Starbucks.

Restaurants: Most eateries in the mall were not technically open for business on opening weekend. Though the food court was booming with people who wanted quick food from vendors like Panda Express, the sit-down restaurants like Chuy’s were not open to the public. Other restaurants like Maggiano’s are perfect for homecoming dinner or a nice date.

Springfield Town Center rose to the challenge of turning a ghetto, somewhat dangerous area into a classy place to shop and dine, and they met success. The reboot of central Springfield is something to watch for in the coming years.