Earlier school start date could make a lot of sense

FCPS thinking about convening classes before Labor Day to help AP, SOL students next year

Prinicipal Michael Mukai and his administration team have thought about a new school start time.  The school board, along with school administrations, reiterate that they want to do what’s best for the students in the County, one example being better prepared for AP exams.

Photo courtesy of Lifetouch

Prinicipal Michael Mukai and his administration team have thought about a new school start time. The school board, along with school administrations, reiterate that they want to do what’s best for the students in the County, one example being better prepared for AP exams.

Daniel Bishop, Oracle Staff Writer

More changes to the school starting times are being implemented for next year. There has been some talk that the 2016-2017 school year might start before Labor Day, on August 29.
Seniors may be rejoicing because they won’t have to start school earlier, but even for underclassmen, starting earlier may actually help a lot more than expected.
The College Board will not move their tests just for one county because the tests are taken nationally. Therefore, the two extra weeks for teaching is a beneficial way to give extra time for the students to get ready for exams.
Starting school earlier may give teachers more time to teach students preparing them for tests earlier.
“I want to do what’s better for you guys, if it means starting school earlier and test scores go up, then I’m all for it,” said Principal Mike Mukai.
There are many positives to starting school two weeks earlier, such as possibly getting out on Memorial Day weekend. If you’re a student planning on getting a summer job, it would give more time to compete for those positions that are normally already taken. It also allows more time to prep for AP exams, SOLs, and end-of-year exams.
Administration wants what’s best for the students and, this change could undoubtedly help the students in their everyday lives if used to their advantage. Things like having extra time for APs so students don’t feel crammed during the school year.
Mukai proposed an idea to use the first two weeks as an easy transition into the school year by having four day weeks with a long weekend, or having the first week be only half days.
“[Students could] meet all [their] teachers, do any schedule changes needed, have time to get all [their] necessary supplies or materials, anything [they] need done and then [would] be ready when the full week comes along,” said Mukai.
The only disadvantage is the shortened summer the first year the plan is in effect. That is why having the easy transition weeks could be crucial and important to the staff and students.
Mukai believes if they plan were to go into effect, the staff and students would do just fine adjusting to the schedule as we have this year.
“Our school has brilliant teachers, fantastic students, and great supporting families that’ll make the switch as smooth as possible if the change goes into effect,” said Mukai.
Adjusting to the new schedule may be a little difficult to get used to, especially if your family always plans last minute vacationing the weekend before school starts.
“Change is hard, change is difficult, but here’s the nice thing, we do well with and make it work,” said Mukai.