WSDT steps it up for the win at Nationals

WSDT poses in front of the Universal Studios globe in Orlando in full constume makeup.

Photo courtesy of Emma Phillips

Maggie Sandusky, Oracle Staff Writer

WS Dance Team brought home another win at Nationals. This was their seventh consecutive win but don’t be fooled; each year the competition gets tougher and their work ethic stronger.
This year the WSDT performed their “Dark Clown” routine at Nationals. Team members attribute their success to a strong work ethic, resulting in practice six days a week.
“We’re successful because of all the hard work and dedication we put into dancing,” said senior Elisa Pryor.
As the team continues to win, the competition gets tougher. Team members said the judges are much harder on them as they expect great things out of a squad that has had such success.
The dancers describe their week in Orlando as surreal. Other teams are WSDT “fangirls,” treating our team like celebrities. They spent a lot of time signing autographs and posing for pictures with their doting admirers.
“The competition was very stressful, there were a lot of teams coming up to us,” said senior Chandler Mobley. “You really have to have tunnel vision on winning.”
To students not on the dance team their victories may have become expected by now. Repeatedly, the team has to step up to the challenge and beat their previous year’s performance.
“I want the school to know that every year we have to work really hard, because it’s a new team,” said junior Natalie Presnell. “The win isn’t given to us.”