One Acts can be twice the fun

n+this+scene+two+investigators+are+interviewing+students+that+want+to+attend+college.+This+satirical+act+was+diected+by+junior+Yosef+Etana.+This+was+her+first+directing+and+not+acting.+

Photo courtesy of Andreas Krawzcak

n this scene two investigators are interviewing students that want to attend college. This satirical act was diected by junior Yosef Etana. This was her first directing and not acting.

Safia Abdulahi, Oracle Staff Writer

It’s that time of year where the WS Theater Department puts together a one act that’s student directed and has everyone in the Theater at the edge of their seats.
In fact, one of our Spartan productions won second place in Virginia High School competition, and now moves on to Regions.
The opening night was not as crowded and the audience mainly consisted of parents. The few students who showed up created echoes of laughter and everyone there seemed to enjoy the show. Before the show began, there were a few people who had their own reason for being in the audience that night.
“I have a few friends directing the play, and they worked really hard at it,” said sophomore Helen Tingley.
The act began with two people in charge of interviewing a series of students that wanted to attend a college. In the comedy, each student had an abnormality and the ones who seemed normal at first changed towards the end.
There was one part of the play where a guy who was very determined to get the spot in the university. He gave a great first impression, but when he found out that the interview didn’t officially admit him to the university, he became a psycho path.
There were many first-time directors who have been in plays but never directed one. This act was directed entirely by a first time directing student.
“Being on the other side, directing and not being directed is definitely an experience,” said junior Yosef Etana.
The second act was directed by Drama teacher Bernie DeLeo. The shift from a comical act to a very emotional act was certainly different. It involved a couple who seemed to be in the future, and they cloned each other in case the other one died. This act will be used in a VHSL competition. Some people don’t know that the VHSL isn’t only for sports; theater also competes in this competition every year.
“The ones usually directed by me go to the VHSL competition,” said DeLeo.
After intermission, there were two more acts, similar to the order of the first; shifting from comical to dramatic.
The first one was about Pokémon Go and the different scenarios you could be in. The last one also involved a couple, but had more action and less mourning. The man in the couple was in the middle of proposing when his girlfriend tells him that she’s an assassin.
By the end of the show people were in tears, either of joy or sadness. The show was directed by students but the entirety of it was professional and well done. The students that are part of the theater program work hard to make sure people know that they do.
“I want to spread theater around school,” said junior Collin Jones.