The New England Patriots win the LI Super Bowl title

Tom Brady captivated fans as he became the first quarterback in NFL history with 5 championship rings

The New England Patriots prove that they’re the comeback kings after they overcame a dissapointing first half in Super Bowl LI. It was the greatest Super Bowl comeback in history.

The Boston Globe

Mark Simonsen, ETC. Editor

There are many dynamic duos in history, but perhaps one of the most iconic is Patriots’ head Coach Bill Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady, who, after Sunday, became five time Super Bowl Champions.
It was a bleak beginning for the Patriots of New England, who scored a dismal three points in the first half. While their opponents, the Atlanta Falcons, looked unstoppable with an impressive 21 points after the first two quarters. Behind quarterback Matt Ryan and wide receiver Julio Jones, the Falcons’ offense tore apart the New England defense for a majority of the first half.
“I started texting all my friends who were Patriots fans at halftime, mocking them for losing so badly,” said Georgia native and Falcons fan Thomas Neumeyer.
Little did he know that Tom Brady and the Brady Bunch would complete one of the greatest comebacks in championship history and cement his status as the one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time.
After halftime the Flacons appeared to be continuing its dominant reign over the Patriots with a touchdown early in the third quarter. Little did Atlanta know this would be their last scoring play, as the Patriots began to out play and out score their opponents for almost the entirety of the second half.
“I didn’t think it was possible,” said Patriots fan Aidan Trizna. “I spent the whole fourth quarter pacing around the room.”
Much to Aidan’s hopes the Patriots were able to tie the game at 28 points and send it into overtime for the first time ever to happen in the Super Bowl.
New England won the overtime coin toss and elected to receive the ball. All red hot Tom Brady had to do was drive down the field from their own 25 yard line and score a touchdown to win the game.
With a final two yard run from running back James White, the Patriots secured one of the most unbelievable wins in the history of the National Football League.
There is a certain poetry to the way this game turned out and the way the Patriots season unfolded. Starting off the year with their star quarterback suspended for four games, New England’s season seemed to be destined for failure. However, as time went on, the New England Patriots ultimately bounced back and succeeded in acquiring a playoff slot, as well as a seat in history as one of the greatest teams ever to play the game.
“I always believed in them”, said Trizna. “Now everybody knows not to mess with the best, or you’ll get burned.”

• The New England Patriots win the LI Super Bowl title

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

Building trust

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up