Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Photo courtesy of Shannon Gage

Our latest construction update in between Doors 3 and 4.

Shannon Gage, Forum Editor

Drenched trudges through the rain to Sparta, ruined shoes, prolonged exposure to freezing temperatures.
The everyday struggles of going to school in a construction zone can be disheartening. It’s easy to forget what the end result of all our inconvenience will be, but a recent PTSA meeting brought to light the construction results we’ll see soon.
WS is currently undergoing the first of three phases of construction, which includes the administrative and student services suite, the library, the music wing, some general purpose classrooms, the cafeteria, the kitchen, the auxiliary gym, the cooking and foods family and consumer science classrooms, and a third floor that will contain the science wing. It is projected to be completed by January 2018.
“It’s nice to finally see some progress in building the new school,” said senior Kelli Jeter.
By the time school starts next fall, the cafeteria, kitchen, auxiliary gym, family and consumer science classrooms, music wing, and some bathrooms are expected to be completed.
“Next fall, when the music wing opens, we’re going to see the start of what it’s going to be like, and people will say, ‘Oh, yeah, that’s why it was worth giving [it] up and having a crappy year this year. Because now it’s going to be great,’” said construction liaison and former WS assistant principal Becky Brandt.
Some aspects of construction are about thirty days behind schedule, but it is still expected to finish in summer of 2019.
“Every aspect of the job is reviewed to make sure it’s perfect.” said Brandt. “It takes time.”
Working around WS’s construction has not been easy for anyone. Junior Grace Radulovic, for example, tripped on a pile of rocks from the construction site in the parking lot.
“I did roll my ankle and had to get it casted, but I do think that it’ll be worth it when it’s done,” said Radulovic.
From icy steps to frozen trailer bathrooms, the WS administration has handled a fair number of unexpected problems. Some have complained that these obstacles could have been handled more smoothly.
“Parents and students are frustrated at the lack of regular updates and information regarding issues,” said WS parent Julia Adams.
But many recognize that simultaneously continuing normal school activities and overseeing the renovation of the entire school is not an easy feat.
“The administration hasn’t gone through this, either, so there will be learning curves for everyone,” said junior Victoria Hannen.