Spartans with big hearts donate blood

Seniors, Caleb Barnes and Caroline Tyler are excited about their decision to donate blood. They were just a few of the many WS students to donate in the annual Inova Blood Drive.

Sarah Petrus, Managing Editor

Senior Caroline Tyler was the first donor of the day for the Inova Blood Drive. Anxious, she waited inside Spartan Hall to donate for the first time.
Students 16 years and older participated in the Inova Blood Drive, which took place on January 19 and was organized by the WS Key Club. Over 70 WS students signed up to give blood, with 57 students successfully donating. That’s enough blood to treat up to 171 patients.
“This [number] is right on par with previous years. Some are higher and some are lower, but this is about average,” said Key Club sponsor John Alukonis. “We are currently in flu season, so some students were sick and unable to donate.”
Some students donated blood for the first time at the blood drive and ended up enjoying the experience of giving blood to those in need.
“It’s super dope to know that you’re helping people and [it’s] a little scary at first because the experience is so alien, but it’s really not that bad,” said Tyler. “We’re young and healthy, there’s no reason not to [donate blood]. If you have the ability to help people, do it.”
Donating blood doesn’t take much time, being just over an hour in most cases. Some students get anxious before or while donating blood. However, being in a familiar place with familiar people can help ease the stress.
“Anxiety is natural for a number of reasons,” said Alukonis. “Any worry, pain, anxiety, or discomfort are temporary and the result makes a lasting effect. I’d encourage everyone to try to donate at least one time.”
Knowing that they are making a difference and helping patients in need erases some of the fear that students have, whether it’s due to needles or because it’s a new experience.
“I looked away during the needle part!” said Tyler. “I was so anxious but everyone is so professional and cool that I ended up forgetting that I was bleeding out.”
Other students donated at the blood drive last year and returned this year to donate again.
“Donating blood is an incredibly easy thing to do that has an indescribably important consequence – saving lives,” said senior Caleb Barnes, who is a returning blood donor. “[It is the] most simple thing any of us can do to help the world.”
Blood donations will always be needed and WS is making a difference by hosting a blood drive. The blood drive is so accessible to students, which encourages students to donate later in life.
“Even if it is your first time and you do not enjoy the experience, you can walk away knowing that your donation [helps] to save another life,” said Alukonis. “I am hopeful that every student who donates at WS continues to do so on their own throughout their life.”