Ding dong, the old school is dead, and it’s “wicked” cool!

Photo courtesy of Salwa Zahid

Students walking together in the new wing of WS, which opened after winter break.

Salwa Zahid, Oracle Staff Writer

New School, Changing Bells!
2018 is coming in fresh. It’s a new year with a new school. The renovated part of WS reopened right after winter break and almost everything has changed in the new building, compared with the old one; even the warning bells have changed.
The renovation of WS has been going on for about a year and a half now; the new section of the school finally opened the first day of school after winter break. English, math, and science classrooms are new and bright. The Student Services department is now in the main office suite and includes a new check-in system.
Overall the changes are popular, but students have different opinions on the new warning bells.
“I personally think the new bells in the reconstructed buildings are alright except for the warning bells,” said sophomore Haryad Brar.
During the first weeks back, the new bells were very different than what studens were used to. Students believed those bells didn’t suit school because the didn’t sound like a school bell.
“I think those bells were boring. It made me feel like I was in the era of the thirteen colonies,” said senior Maely Osorio.
Many students thought the warning bells sounded like church bells.
“The warning bell resembled church bells which made me feel like I was at church. I would really appreciate it if they changed the bells back to the old bell system, it just feels more school-ly,” said sophomore Hajra Qazi.
Students had many opinions on what bells should sound like if they were to be changed.
“I think the bells should be changed to something more modern since the new part of the school is much more updated,” said Osorio.
The administration changed the church-style bell to a more familiar sound midway through January. Some students like the new bell while others don’t. The new bell is easier to hear.
“At the end of the day, those bells are still WS’s bells. It’s one of the many reasons that makes WS unique and special. It’s what makes West Springfield, West Springfield” said Osorio.