National History Day

The National History Day competition has begun, with this years theme focusing on conflict and compromise in history.

Photo courtesy of NHD.org

The National History Day competition has begun, with this year’s theme focusing on conflict and compromise in history.

Shafuq Naseem, Scoop Editor

Every year students across the nation take part in the National History Day competition by creating a project that fits a theme that changes each year. The theme this year is conflict and compromise in history.

Students will have the choice of creating an exhibit, a website, an essay, a documentary, or a performance. With a variety like this, students are able to express their creativity while showcasing their historical research skills.

“I chose a performance because I enjoy public speaking and I thought it would be the most effective way to share my topic. I really enjoyed sewing my African costume and putting the whole show together,” said sophomore Kayla Rothstein. Rothstein created a performance on her topic, the Aba Women’s Riot of 1929.
Students first submit their projects in class for a grade, and then a large number move on to the school-wide competition. After the school competition, only a select number get chosen to move onto regionals. Because this competition is so competitive amongst students, they spend a lot of time perfecting their projects.

“First we chose our topic and if we wanted to be in a group. We then found a lot of sources that would work for out project, then we wrote a thesis and created a rough draft. We worked [on the project] for a few weeks to keep adding to our final project,” said sophomore  Maya Betts. Betts created a project on homosexuality in Europe.

Teachers were amazed by the quality of projects produced by students.

“We have talented students in the AP World History and Honors World History 2 courses. Students put a lot of time and effort into their projects,” said WS World History teacher and one of the judges of the competition, Nicole Smith.

The main goal for NHD is to allow students to research a different side of history, which moves beyond facts and dates. NHD also allows students to venture out and research history topics that are not always discussed during class. Teachers value the NHD competition because they embrace the idea of students exploring topics outside of the curriculum they learn in school. Through this students are also able to explore what interests them.

“A lot of projects are related to a student’s family, culture, or hobbies. It also provides valuable skills for students. Research and presentation are two skills that will be transferable to post-secondary courses and experiences, said Smith.

Students are also aware of the importance of broadening there is so much more history than what is in the textbooks,” said Rothstein.