Senior art show amazes attendees

Photo courtesy of Maryann Xue

The senior art show provided the opportunity for seniors to display their artwork in the library.

Maryann Xue, Page One Editor

The library temporarily turned into the Louvre during the senior art show, where senior artists exhibited their artwork in a public display of creativity.
The senior art show provides an opportunity for seniors to showcase their artistic abilities to the entire school and presents a way for them to present their final portfolios. All visitors to the library had the chance to view and admire the work of their peers and write comments in journals left by the artists.
“I think [the art] is great,” said sophomore Gelila Weldeyesus, who saw the artwork in the library during lunch. “It shows how people wanna express themselves and what they’ve seen in life. It makes me feel that I wanna do the same thing.”
The pieces in the art show are a result of the hard work and dedication of seniors to their craft. Difficult pieces took from several hours to days to complete, but the results were rewarding. The show consisted of multiple forms of art, including drawing and photography, each of which had its own distinct features and themes. The drawings touched into people’s imaginations with various subject matters open to personal interpretation. Photography, generally thought of as a realist form of art, wasn’t only limited to the realm of reality. Some photos were edited to exude a surreal quality.
“I just hope everyone enjoys it and has a good time, that’s kind of what it’s there for,” said senior Camilla Forte, who had her photography showcased in the art show. “Everyone can interpret it how they want.”
Some of Forte’s photos were minimally edited, with minor tweaks in lighting, but others seemed to come from dreams, taking viewers into a new imaginary dimension. In the quiet atmosphere of the library, the presence of art inspired a vibrant outburst of creativity. Students could study while being surrounded by artwork from their senior classmates.
For seniors, the art show is an excellent way to present their artwork to someone other than themselves or their teachers and is a particularly good experience for competitions. They can receive positive and constructive feedback from their peers and use that to improve their art for the future. For everyone else, the artwork can be a positive influence both in portraying the importance of artistic expression and inspiring the next generation of Da Vinci’s.
“I think any type of expression is very important. Even if painting’s not your thing, or photography’s not your thing, it’s just a good stress reliever and a way to kind of improve mental health,” said Forte.