Students stress to get points

Spanish Honor Society students pose at a recent meeting.

Amirah Surmean

Amirah Surmean

Amirah Sumrean, Features Editor

Students at WS are racing against the clock to get their points in for honor societies before the school year comes to an end.
Members of honor societies are required to obtain a certain amount of points each year they are a member of the club. Points can be earned by completing different community service tasks. Some can include helping at an elementary school fun fair while another can be babysitting kids at a parent event at the school. Here at WS we have many different honor societies, some include: National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Tri-M Music Honor Society, and Art Honor Society. As the school year is winding down students are struggling to get all their points in on time.
“I’m in Tri-M Music and History Honor Society. I know what I’m going to do [to get points] for history but I have no idea for Tri-M,” said Junior Laura Bordelon.
Student are feeling pressured because they only have a limited amount of time to get all their points in if they haven’t already. If members can’t get all their points, then there are consequences that await.
“I’m a little stressed about Tri-M because I could get kicked out,” said Bordelon.
For some of the societies you can lose your membership for not getting points and for some if you don’t get all your points by senior year, you may not get a cord or stole on graduation day.
Chemistry teacher Linda Gillespie is sponsoring National Honor Society for the first time this year. She’s noticed that students are starting to get stressed out about their points, her advice for them, “They should’ve been working harder at the beginning of the year.”
Since the beginning of the year seniors have had opportunities to earn points and now that juniors have to get them as well, it is causing mayhem. Not only are current members required to get points for their club, but newly inducted members must get points as well. Sophomore Benjamin Barnedo was recently inducted into Spanish Honor Society. He isn’t feeling the pressure as much as others seem to be.
“No, I’m not really stressed because it’s a responsibility and a part of being in the club,” said Barnedo, “It’s what teachers expect of us and it’s our job to do it.”
As time winds down we are all learning a very important lesson: procrastination is a dangerous thing. As students are struggling it’s important to remember not to psych yourself out too much.

• Students stress to get points

SIS malfunction causes stress

• Students stress to get points

Actors and technical crew gear up for fall play

• Students stress to get points

Students arrive late due to bus crowding

• Students stress to get points

New mental health program kicks off

• Students stress to get points

FCPS passes sexual misconduct resolution

• Students stress to get points

New school, new rules

• Students stress to get points

Guitars, unite! Whether you want to or not…

• Students stress to get points

Saying goodbye to beloved teachers: Retirements at WS

• Students stress to get points

Oracle Person of the Year: Nathanael Mengistie

• Students stress to get points

Music departments travel to Chicago

Students stress to get points