Student drivers: going through the motions

Per Virginia law, new drivers under 18 can only drive with one to three people in the backseat, depending on how long they have had their license. This perhaps provides an incentive for teens to not get their licenses.
Photo courtesy of Emily Yelnicker

Teenagers all over the country have been choosing not to get their driver’s licenses more and more. Strict laws are emerging in Virginia, perhaps providing the incentive needed for teens to not be in a hurry to get their licenses.
The rules of driving in Virginia for teeangers create a strict environment for the new driver. The Virginia DMV Driver’s Manual places a number of restrictions on drivers under 18, limiting the amount of people they’re able to drive around and what they’re allowed to do. Laws such as these are emerging all over the country, perhaps providing the incentive needed for teens to not be in a hurry to get their licenses.
“Maybe we’re a little young right now, but [eligibility to get a driver’s license] kind of tells you that you’re getting older, and that it’s time to have some more responsibility. It also shows a sense of independence and I guess everyone wants to feel that at some point,” said sophomore Arianna Wagner-Sist.
Statistics for teens with driver’s licenses have been declining. In an article from The Washington Post, writer Caitlin Gibson revealed one of the latest polls taken, and the numbers of teen driver’s licenses has decreased considerably. According to the article, in 2021, 60% of 18 year-old teens had their licenses, whereas in 1983, 80% of 18-year old teens had them. Instructions within Driver’s Ed and Behind the Wheel come without cost as a part of the PE curriculum at WS. The students learn from instructors they know, and they eventually take their driver’s test with those same instructors. Students can develop a relationship with the teacher teaching them, which can help calm some of their nerves.
“[Familiar instructors] put [students] at ease,” explained PE teacher and Behind the Wheel instructor Amy Shiffer.
Students report feeling at ease with instructors that are familiar faces as well.
“I think I’ll be more comfortable with a teacher, especially because it’s the same teacher I did Driver’s Ed with, because I know her, I’m more comfortable with her, and she knows me. I feel driving with her won’t be as much pressure than driving with someone newer that I haven’t met yet who doesn’t really know my personality or just the way that I am,” said junior Jaellen Hillery, who is getting ready to begin Behind the Wheel with Schiffer.
Getting a driver’s license provides more freedom for teenagers. They’re able to go out on their own and do things they couldn’t ordinarily do.
“Well, it’s a milestone of life. I mean, it’s kids 16, 17 years old who’ve been getting their driver’s license at that age for decades now. And it’s just part of that growing up process and gaining that more freedom and more ability to branch out on your own,” said Eric Wagner, father of sophomore Arianna Wagner-Sist.
Driving can arguably be beneficial for some aspects of being a teenager in high school. Things such as driving to school, driving to sports practices, or driving to after school activities can become more easily controlled by the student, also relieving stress on the side of the parent.
“I mean, it’s expensive to get a parking spot, but I like it because I get to leave at a time I choose. I don’t have to wake up super early for a bus or have a friend drive me,” said senior Carolann Roberts.
Many students seem to cite driving as a rite of passage, a way of showing that they’re getting older, getting handed more responsibilities, and earning more independence.
“I’m mostly excited because that means more freedom, but I’m definitely a little nervous too,” said Wagner-Sist.
Some students feel a sense of fear or apprehension about driving, but the sense of freedom and excitement can sometimes outweigh the fear. In addition, instructors advise students to recognize that there is always room for growth, even with their feet on the pedals.
“Go in with realistic expectations that you’re not perfect, and you’re not going to be perfect, that it’s OK to make mistakes, small mistakes, to learn from them,” said Shiffer.

Do you plan to get your driver's license before graduating from high school?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.