The next big thing around DC

The most talked about male athlete since Lebron James and considered by many to be the greatest batting prospect ever, seventeen year old Bryce Harper has begun to make a name for himself in the MLB.

Hailing from Las Vegas, Nevada, Harper paved way for his future by being the first-ever high school sophomore to win Baseball America’s High School player of the Year Award. He obtained his GED and enrolled in South Nevada Community College. Skipping his final two years of high school enabled him to be eligible for the 2010 MLB Draft. As a result, he was the prospective number one pick of the draft.

Harper continued his love for the game by playing for the USA’s baseball 18 and under team. This was satisfying enough for scouts. However, he stamped a name for himself at the International Power Showcase at Tropicana Field, while recording the longest home run Tropicana field had ever seen.

Being that Harper is only 17 years of age, it was hard for critics to project the impact he would have on the big leagues.

As a player, Harper is considered to be the best batting prospect the MLB has ever seen. Although most will see his offense as his main asset, Harper is also a solid defensive player at catcher. In his transition to the MLB, however, he will be converting to outfielder.

Although he is clearly one of the best players the MLB has ever seen, Harper is known for his extremely cocky attitude. It’s one thing to be confident, but it’s another thing to think you’re the best thing to ever walk the face of the Earth. Nationals fans will have to hope that Harper does not become the Terrell Owens of baseball.

With the aura of steroids still lingering around baseball, the last thing the MLB needs is more bad publicity.

“I don’t think that Harper should have come out of school early,” said senior JT Williamson. “It definitely would have benefited him in the long run.”

Harper is one of many rising stars of his generation including Wizards point guard John Wall and Nationals pitcher Stephen Strasburg.

With the return of Stephen Strasburg and addition of Bryce Harper, the Nationals future continues to look a little brighter every year.