Savoia joins SWAGner lacrosse

It is what most student athletes dream of accomplishing, taking their game to the next level of play, to play in Division 1 Athletics.

WS has a history of producing star athletes that go on to play at the college level, and this year is no exception.

Senior Matt Savoia has signed to play lacrosse with Wagner College in Staten Island, NY. Wagner is a small college with a student body of only 1,870. However, this is the perfect fit for Savoia and meets what he wants to do in college.

“I started to play in eighth grade and played midfield, before I switched to defense” said Savoia. “I have always wanted to play Division 1.”

Having a player graduate from the high school program into the NCAA is always good for a program. It brings positive attention to the high school and encourages the student body to come out and support its players.

“It’s good for the program and allows some younger student athletes to see what opportunities exist after high school lacrosse,” said Varsity lacrosse coach Scott Settar. “He is a competitor. Savoia thought he could take on the challenge of playing defense and did.”

Savoia switched to defense this past summer because last year’s graduating class made up the majority of the defense. Savoia saw an opening where he could help the team and it paid off. Playing in elite summer leagues such as MadLax helped get Savoia nods from several different college coaches.

“Wagner contacted me in late August,” said Savoia. “I was ecstatic and excited to play for them because I liked the coaching staff, and I liked their style of play when I saw it.”

Even though Savoia is playing for Wagner next year, he and the rest of the Varsity boys lacrosse team still have to focus on the season ahead of them. Since a large majority of the team graduated last year, they will rely on the leadership of the returning Varsity players, as well as the upcoming juniors.

“This lacrosse season I have high hopes for myself, and our team; we will see what happens,” said Savoia.