OMGPOP provides fun games for all

After logging into our school’s computers, the first thing students look to do is click on Internet Explorer and navigate to the popular gaming site OMGPOP.

Rated five thumbs up by Gameolosophy, OMGPOP is a website that is open to anyone who wants to play a variety of online multiplayer games with their friends.

OMGPOP is not your average gaming site; it can almost mirror a social network where players can create a screen name with a profile, upload their own pictures, chat with other buddies online and collect points.

I went into the site thinking I wouldn’t be impressed, but I stand corrected. OMGPOP is better than other sites of its kind because it offers a feature that has become very uncommon these days—it’s free.

I was shocked to find that such a detailed and entertaining site doesn’t charge its users. The process of becoming a member is quick and easy; just enter your email and make a password and you’re good to go.

The only thing OMGPOP asks for in return is a promise to follow the rules: Be nice, don’t curse, don’t give out personal information, don’t cheat, and have fun.

“Everybody in my class plays,” said senior Soobin Lee, who has spent time on the website during school hours.

This is not a website where you log in, play some games and find out after the fact that you have an email inbox full of spam. OMGPOP works hard on spam blocker to protect its members and assure that you are truly having fun without the hassle.

With several games to choose from, players and members become addicted quickly. Pool seems to be the most popular, but students also enjoy playing other games.

The website offers Booya, which simulates the card game Uno, as well as other traditional games such as Checkers and Scrabble.

Balloono consists of a maze that users navigate while trying not get hit by water balloons, and there is also a game that resembles pictionary called Draw Your Thing.

Players can even enjoy Hover Kart Racing and Hover Kart Battle, which are very similar to the Mario Kart video game.

Users receive points every time they play, win or just log on, which is an incentive for them to keep checking their account. If players accumulate enough points, they can purchase items to make the OMGPOP experience better.

Even though this website is fun for students, it causes concern as most only play it in school. Playing games is not against the rules for some teachers, and it should be this way in every class as long the game is not interrupting something important.

“I saw other people playing it,” said junior Sean Irvine, “and I thought I’d try.”

OMGPOP is spreading fast in our school, so hurry up and become a member so you can play against your classmates.

“I’m not going to lie,” said senior Dominic Savoia, “It’s addicting, but so much fun.”