Former WS kickers face off

Every bowl season, there are a few compelling matchups that draw people’s interest for one reason or another. Generally, they involve two very talented teams that should be a close game.

Sometimes the biggest story is not the game itself, but the stories within the game. This year’s Champs Sports Bowl had one such story.

Two recent WS graduates, Josh Czajkowski (North Carolina State) and Tyler Bitancurt (West Virginia) played against each other, with NC State winning 23-7.

Both of them scored in the game; Bitancurt had an extra point in the losing effort, while Czajkowski added two extra points and three field goals, including a 45-yarder.

As former Spartans who play the same position, it is no surprise that the two are close friends.

“If [Bitancurt] ever has a problem or if anything isn’t going well, he can always call or text me,” said Czajkowski.  “I’m one of his biggest fans and I’m very proud of what he’s accomplished.”

Aside from Czajkowski and Bitancurt, WS has had many kickers move on to higher levels of play recently. Graduate John McConnell is a kicker for Buffalo University, and current Pittsburgh Steelers punter Jeremy Kapinos also attended WS.

Czajkowski attributes this success to the coaching of former NFL punter and WS coach Bill Renner, as well as former kicking coach Paul Woodside, a former West Virginia kicker himself.

“We have some of the best training at our position that you could have,” said Czajkowski.

But they couldn’t have gotten their without helping each other out.

“I wouldn’t be where I am today without [Czajkowski’s] help,” said Bitancurt. “He helped make me the kicker I am today, but more than that he showed me how to be a good friend and a teammate.”

One of the best parts about playing in a bowl game is not the game itself, but the entire bowl experience. Not only do the teams get to stay in a five star hotel in sunny Florida in the middle of winter, but each team receives a complimentary gift bag filled with a gift card to Outback, a beach towel, and a customized pen to go along with a shopping spree to Best Buy.

“The bowl experience itself was awesome,” said Bitancurt. “It’s always nice to visit Florida, especially in winter.”

Bitancurt has had instant success at WVU. He has been a starter since his freshman year, kicking two game winning field goals in two years and being named to the watch list for the Best Kicker in the country.

Czajkowski was also on the this list this year, and is hoping to continue his career at the next level after graduating from college.

“Of course I want to finish what I have started with kicking,” said Czajkowski. “The NFL is a great shot for me as of now, I’m just crossing my fingers at this point and hoping for the best.”