Tradition never graduates

She shoots and she scores! The WS Girls Varsity basketball team is dominating the Patriot District once again this year. From star scorers to an amazing team defense, they have the whole package.

They are proving to be a talented and hardworking team. Much of this is due to having such a dedicated coach. Bill Gibson has been coaching at WS for over 20 years. Last year, he retired as a teacher but continues to coach the girl’s varsity basketball team. His team appreciates all of the time and effort he puts in.

“[Gibson]’s passionate about the games,” said junior Emily Esau.

Although he sometimes comes across as a yeller, it’s all in good sportsmanship.

“[Gibson] pushes us hard, and he yells, but only to make us do our best,” said freshman Amy Berglund.

So far the team has only lost one game, and it was a close one at 49-52. The teammates have their differences but they put it all aside to be the winning team they are.

“We are good and all like to play basketball, hopefully we go as far as last year,” said Berglund.

The fans are hoping the girls make it as far as last year as well. The girls made it to the Final Four and got to play in Richmond at the VCU Civic Center. The fans were so pumped they painted their faces and wore crazy outfits to support the girls. The fans also got to take a spirit bus to the Richmond game and sported Final Four matching t-shirts.

Varsity has 2 new freshmen on the team this year. Although they are new to high school, they are not new to basketball. Berglund has proved that freshman can keep up with the upperclassmen. The team has taken the new freshman, Berglund and Olivia Shipman, under their wings.

“They are doing really well, a little bit shy, but they are starting to break out of their shells,” said Esau.

Being a freshman on a varsity team can be intimidating. The freshmen on the team this year are adjusting well and are an asset to the team.

“It’s fun. We have to do some of the jobs no one wants to do, but that’s part of being a freshman,” said Berglund. “I look up to the older girls.”