Friday night lights still hold the memory of Number 58

Caroline Wittich, Sports Editor

Every Friday before a home football game, the team members touch the “58” rock and are reminded of the struggles a former Spartan went through. Jordan Trunfio played football here at WS and struggled with brain cancer until he passed in 2013, his senior year.
“Touching the rock puts everyone in a mindset where you’re playing for something bigger than yourself,” said senior Brock Vaughn.
Trunfio left WS with an impact strong enough to keep the football players focused and determined. He especially inspired his teammates who were constantly surrounding him with support and encouragement while he experienced both physical and emotional obstacles.
Trunfio’s character was easily recognizable; the freshmen on the team Trunfio’s senior year are now seniors themselves and feel his presence when they are grinding out work on the field. He gives Spartan football a purpose for their dedication to their work and the game.
“I have 58 written on my cleats… it helps me remember him.” Marshall Wilson said.
Although Trunfio was here only three years ago, the last class to be present in WS for his last year will be graduating this next spring. Though the number “58” is scattered in various places throughout the school, incoming classes may not always know what the number or images stand for.
New members of the team are reminded of him not only when they touch the rock, but also whenever his name is brought up. The leaders of the team recall as much as they can about Trunfio in order to pass his story and inspiration on to the younger, newer players on the team.
“I try to help the kids that never got to know him understand what he stood for and how he inspires people,” said Wilson.
It is important to the people who knew Trunfio that he is not forgotten; for he taught about working hard through the worst of times and keeping a positive outlook on tough situations.
Even though certain aspects of Trunfio’s last year at WS were painful, it was unforgettable and “gave the team one goal- to play for him,” said Jeremiah Pickell.
The leaders of the football team will pass on Jordan’s kindness and inspirational mottos to the younger players as a reminder that there is so much more to football than throwing a ball and scoring touchdowns. They learn that they are representing someone who fought hard in a battle and while doing so, he illustrated what it means to work hard and “Make it Count”.