Spartan says soccer is his goal this spring

Madison Edwards, Oracle Staff Writer

Around here, it is strongly believed everyone should have a chance to do something they want to do. There are plenty of clubs and organizations that every student is eligible to join.
But until recently, high school sports were not available to students with disabilities. Sophomore Kai Kato wanted to play, so the school helped make that happen.
Kato, who was born with a disability involving a bone in his leg that is weaker than the others, plans to try out for Spartan Soccer this spring. He has had three surgeries to help correct the condition, but is determined to keep playing.
“Obviously I’m not as good as other players because I’m not as fast but I’m still motivated,” Kato said.
He plays midfield and defense; this may make it more difficult for him to keep up with his teammates, but Kato said it’s not about the speed but about accpetance.
He receives help from the school’s certified athletic trainers, to help get him warmed up before he takes the field.
Kato said if he does not make the soccer team he hopes to try out for Crew. He plays on a club soccer team now, though, so Spartan Soccer is his goal. Allowing students with disabilities to play sports creates a positive impact on the school as a whole.
“Any time a student is able to participate in a sport that they are passionate about while overcoming a disability can only be seen as a positive thing” said Director of Student Activities, Andy Muir.
With the students playing sports, the athletic staff provides help to those with disabilities. The active participation of students with disabilities does not change the inherent dangers of playing sports.
“The ATC and coaching staff are aware of students with specific disabilities and work to ensure that they are knowledgeable about how to deal with those individuals’ needs”, said Muir. As long as all students who wish to participate in sports meet all of the standards for the team they are allowed to play any sport the high school offers.
Kato hopes to be an inspiration to other students with disabilities not only here, but for all of those who dream of playing a sport.
He doesn’t get any special treatment from the coaching staff, either. Kato is pretty proud of his accomplishments.
“The coach treats me exactly the same” as the other players, he said.