Who runs the world? Girls!

Marie Laverdiere, Business Editor

Puberty is a word that school children dread because it brings scary changes and uncertainty; but Girls on the Run is a program that helps girls survive it.
For young girls, the greatest challenges growing up include loss of confidence and self-doubt. Girls on the Run, or GOTR as it is commonly abbreviated, is more than a pyramid program for high school track, its main goal is to help girls retain their confidence as they mature.
GOTR provides a safe atmosphere where girls learn lessons about friendship, self-talk, and confidence, while also being provided with the opportunity to develop a love for running.
“[GOTR] teach[es] you about being yourself and getting along with other girls,” said senior Abby Snyder who participated in GOTR in 6th grade.
In addition to running at every practice, GOTR meetings have of a lesson that is designed to help the girls think positively and deal with bad days. These lessons range from visualization to positive self-talk; their goal is to prepare the athletes for lifelong happiness and success.
“We had to visualize ourselves being on a hill and looking at the sky and picking out a star. And that would be our star,” said Orange Hunt Elementary School 5th grader Emma Jury.
Since participating in GOTR, Snyder has continued running and came in 42nd place at the Girls Cross Country state meet this past fall. Her team came in 5th place. GOTR was the start of Snyder’s successful running career.
“[I liked being] able to meet more girls that feel the same way about running,” said Snyder. “I had never done any actual running before Girls on the Run.”
Participating in sports helps athletes develop a mental toughness that can help them deal with challenges throughout life. GOTR provides a program that reaches girls in two ways: personal lessons and physical activity.
“[Girls] generally need something that shows them their improvement and [shows] them why they should believe in themselves in the sport that they’re in,” said Track and Cross Country Coach Christopher Pellegrini.
Training for an End-of Season 5k fits the criteria. The girls are able to practice throughout their season and finish with a fun, rewarding celebration.
Although the physical activity makes an impact on the girls, the most memorable aspects for them are the positive lessons that go with them for life.
“They teach you that you’re yourself, and there’s no one else like you, and it makes you feel good about yourself,” said Orange Hunt Elementary School 6th grader Katie Swatek.