Let the Spring games begin!

Junior Tennis Team Captain, Nick Koehler, poses for photo with tennis raquet in displaying passion and dedication for the sport.

Photo courtesy of Nick Koehler

Noelle Ha, Oracle Online Writer

Get ready Spartans- Spring Sports have arrived!
Spring sports have the most competitive tryouts, also known as cry-outs because there are no freshmen teams, and have the biggest turn outs.
A problem that the spring sports athletes are having is that this year not all field try-outs will be at the WS fields, but at South Run. Thankfully, there are buses that take students to the fields and back to the school.
“I feel nervous for lacrosse try-outs, but green days and conditionings helped me get ready for the season,” said sophomore Diana Criste. “Having a sport during third and fourth quarter isn’t harder, it actually is like having a break after school and school work.”
For lacrosse, things got more difficult because they changed the times and also added some running exercises.
With all the snow days this year it took away a lot of green days and conditionings that are supposed to help prepare all the spring sport athletes for try-outs, which may have an effect on their performance.
A less known spring sport is tennis. Their try-out involves having matches against others and running to help with their stamina and endurance.
“Try-outs are nerve wracking. Since tennis is an outdoor sport, it’s a lot more difficult to work out during the winter, snow days are so annoying unless you play somewhere indoor,” said junior Nick Koehler.
For spring Outdoor Track, try-outs are just a one day thing, but if you get cut, you get another chance to try the next week. Sprinters have to run 200 meters (ranging from 29 to 36 seconds) depending on you grade and gender, and for long distance you have to run 800 meters (in two minutes and fourty seconds to threee minutes in thirty seconds) also depending on gender and grade.
Even with the later time change to school starts, the lady Spartans soccer team still have 6-ams for their rough try-outs. On their first day of their early time shot they start with the pacer for Varsity.
“A bunch of people try-out, but only so many make it, I’m stressed and tired during try-outs,” said freshman Connor Brooks.
Softball and baseball have similar try-outs which include being tested on basic field skills, as well as conditioning (like all the other sports).
“It’s definitely hard but I think that fall, winter, and spring sports all deserve the same amount of credit because regardless of the period of the school year, an athlete should balance time given for school work and the sport played