Double the trouble

Photo courtesy of Nathan Ponce Martinez

The Ponce-Martinez brothers enjoy the bonding of being on the same teams.

Mia Oppler, Sports Editor

Some may say they are seeing double when siblings compete on the same WS athletic teams; they may have the same last name but prove to be different competitors.
Many high school athletes start off dipping their toes in different sports at a young age and tend to choose a specific sport to focus on that they love or can see themselves succeeding in as they age. When it comes to siblings, many parents stick them together at the start. Some separate and go on to do different things and others continue to follow in the footsteps of their big brother or sister.
One pair of siblings that play for the WS Boys Varsity Soccer is the Ponce-Martinez brothers. Nathan, a senior, and Daniel, a sophomore, have played soccer growing up for travel teams individually and together in a friendly manner but this season will be the first time the two are competing on the same team.
“It’s just different cause we are siblings and all. I feel like it’s going to be a better connection but yet again, we are going to push each other to become better players than each other,” said Nathan.
Daniel, on the other hand, feels that playing on the same team with his older brother is not going to be particularly different.
“Playing with Nathan is the same thing as playing with my friends. He’s my brother and wants me to do the best I can,” said Daniel.
Sisters, junior Michelle and freshman Amy Wang, are both playing for the WS Girls Varsity Tennis team and can see how playing with a fellow brother or sister can come with both pros and cons. The two have previously played on the same team before but not for WS.
“Sometimes if we have different opinions on team decisions that can lead to disagreements,” said Amy.
Siblings are bound to bicker but the pros of being together trump the negatives.
“We are really competitive but it’s nice because we get to spend time with each other [which] has brought us closer,” said Michelle.
Whether in the house getting ready, playing on the same field, or cheering for one another on the side – having a sibling behind your back can be very handy.
“Being on the same team can be really fun playing each other and helping each other improve by providing competition,” said Amy.