Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

The+picture+above+is+a+Nike+ad+to+promote+the+new+Nike+hijab.+Nike+is+the+first+major+sport+company+to+release+a+sport+hijab+for+Muslim+atheltes.+
The picture above is a Nike ad to promote the new Nike hijab. Nike is the first major sport company to release a sport hijab for Muslim atheltes.

Newscult

Newscult

Katelynn Rodriguez, Business Editor

Finally, the internationally renowned company Nike Pro has taken steps to support for Muslim athletes by releasing their line of hijabs.
Such action coming from a company like Nike has meant a great deal to the Muslim community. Muslim athletes often endure prejudice from their audiences for their modest attire. This is not an issue only about freedom of religion, but also about equality. An athlete’s beliefs should never prevent him or her from pursuing a career in a sport, and Nike Pro pursues this in the nw hijab. Hijabs are a visible representation of someone’s beliefs and background, and it is important for Muslim athletes to have the ability to embrace their individuality further.
“It is a step forward in equality because it’s recognizing that Muslim athletes do exist and this hijab will help them perform to their best abilities like everyone else while still practicing their faith,” said junior Dania Abu-Irshaid.
The 13- month project, set to release in the spring of 2018, than other hijabs, will provide more room to breathe and is made of lighter material to enhance the athlete’s performance. Test trials have already been done with the support of Muslim athletes such as Amna Al Haddad, who is a professional weightlifter, to prove the effectiveness and quality of their first hijab.
“This definitely is a step in the right direction for diversity and acceptance of differences in all ways which shows progess,” said junior Maheera Hijab.
Nike has made inclusion a key factor in the making of their hijab, so that no athlete is excluded in receiving the equipment she needs.This product has taken in all considerations to make performance easier for Muslim athletes, so that they can comfortably respect their religious precepts while performing the sports they love.
“As a covered athlete myself, it makes life a lot easier because now I don’t have to come up with these makeshift uniforms and workout gear,” said senior Shad Nuri.
For a routine that can be so simple (shopping for clothes), is actually a difficult task for muslim athletes. Younger athletes who look up to Muslim athletes and will no longer view them as different, but as an equal competitor in the arena.
“[I] can instead just go to the store like everyone else,” said Nuri.
Controversy has arisen from the development of the Nike Pro hijab on whether or not the intentions behind the product are true. Some believe that Nike has been promoting the hijab so strongly only for popularity in the sense of making a profit, and not in a sense of a step forward in equality for muslim women in sports. However, this product has put female muslim athletes in the spotlight, and shone a light on their dedication for sports and proud religious identities.
“Having a company like Nike come out with a sports hijab is absolutely amazing and revolutionary,” said Hijab.

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

The Ocho: Taserball shocks

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

Spring sports try to make the run as regular season winds down

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

Senior night lights

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

DC teams need to remedy their postseason curse

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

West End soars to Nationals

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

Freshman runners race their way to National meet

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

Spartans are rowing their way to success

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

Double the trouble

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

Frisbees are flying High

• Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes

Sports

Girls’ lacrosse reading to victory

Nike makes hijab for Muslim athletes