Senior night lights

Photo courtesy of Joel Wallen

The senior class of the wrestling team before their final home competition. The seniors led the wrestling team to a 6-1 conference record and two of the three Spartan wrestlers who went to the state tournament were seniors.

Joseph Adase, Sports Editor

Senior night is always a huge spectacle in the world of high school sports. It’s a night to recognize the seniors’ years of hard work and dedication.
The seniors on the team are escorted by their family to the middle of the arena and stand before the crowd while their accolades are read to a crowd of adoring fans. Coaches and parents try to do everything they can to make the experience as memorable and special as possible for the seniors.
“It was fun because you get to be what all of your older friends were before,” said senior Jack Madsen, a senior on the track and field team.
Part of what makes the night special is giving the seniors something personal or unique that helps them remember their time on their team. These traditions set senior night apart from other regular competitions and makes it feel special.
“We got our pictures taken and we each got a rose,” said Madsen. “I got to meet the principal, which was pretty cool because I’d never really talked to him.”
Senior night is supposed to be memorable, and ideally those memories would be good ones. That’s why there’s always a little more motivation, especially from seniors, for a senior night competition to result in a win.
Senior night is always an important event, but sometimes there’s more to it than just recognizing seniors.
“I feel like we were [more motivated to win],” said senior wrestler Preston Cole. “For the first time in recent memory something substantial was actually obtainable.”
Other teams are more laid back on senior night and let the players have fun. They do things that they normally wouldn’t.
“Senior night was definitely more of a have fun night,” said senior William Ward, a senior on the track and field team. “I would have done something like hurdles, and I’m not a hurdler.”
Many senior athletes have participated in their sport their entire high school career. That means four years of practices, competitions, and off season workouts, four years of hard work and dedication are recognized before the final home competition of the season.
“After four years of doing a sport and watching all the other seniors on their senior night, it feels surreal,” said Ward. “It doesn’t seem like the end, but it kind of is.”