Sprint and shoot into winter

Photo courtesy of Anya Hawkins

The Virginia Showcase takes place on the indoor track at Liberty University. This elite meet is held on Liberty’s state of the art hydraulic banking track, which can have the incline changed. WS sent 17 athletes last year. Notably, the Spartan girls won the 4×800 meter relay.

Sarah Petrus, Managing Editor

As the holidays begin, so do winter sports.
The Indoor Track team is preparing for their upcoming meets. They recently competed in a Quad Meet and their next meet is on December 16 at Robinson High School. The team’s main goal for the season is to get as many WS runners into state and national competitions as possible.
“We graduated a lot of talented seniors last year but it seems this year’s group is just as talented if not more, [so this] season is looking to be a good one” said senior Will Bailey, who is currently captain of the track team and has been on the track team since sophomore year.
The Boys Varsity Basketball team won their home opener against Madison HS 58-52. The Lady Spartans Varsity Basketball team dominated Lee 59-30. The girls will play a tournament at Virginia Beach over winter break.
“I think we have the potential to be really good this season. It’s just a matter of how hard we work for it.” said senior Jordan Schuck, who has been playing basketball for WS since freshman year. “I want to play hard and make my last year the best I can.”
The Wrestling season is also starting and they are training in their new wrestling room at WS. The team recently competed in the Nova Classic. They are hoping to have a great season and qualify for Regionals.
“I feel [that] this year will be great for the team,” said sophomore Marcus Cyr. “[My goal is to] do better than I did last year.”
The WS Rifle team has already competed against West Potomac, winning their first match 1152 to 1106. They are training for their next match in mid-December at St. John’s College High School, but are looking ahead to the rest of the season. The team is hoping to do well at Regionals, which takes place in February.
“I think this season will go very well for the team,” said Senior Hannah Fleming, who has been on the Rifle team all four years of high school. “We came in second at Regionals last year, so I think we want to make it back to there.”
The Boys Swim team has already competed in two meets, on December 8 and December 9. They hope to win the rest of their meets this year and have members qualify for states.
“The season should go great this year. Everyone has been trying really hard at practice and we’re all committed to working hard for the rest of the season.” said senior Josh Chapman. “If everyone tries hard and swims their best, then we should have no problem [winning meets].”
The Gymnastics team is practicing every week and working hard to prepare for their upcoming competitions, hoping to qualify for states this year.
“We have strong competitors and [making states this year] would be the perfect end to the last season for the seniors,” said senior Megan James, who has been on the team since sophomore year. “I also hope that overall we bond as a team and have fun doing the sport we love.”