Morning practice? Blame the heat

Senior+Luke+Wevely+cools+off+after+a+long+cross-country+practice+in+the+heated+afternoon.+Temperatures+rose+exponentially+and+forced+coaches+to+work+around+the+dead+heat.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Morning practice? Blame the heat

Senior Luke Wevely cools off after a long cross-country practice in the heated afternoon. Temperatures rose exponentially and forced coaches to work around the dead heat.

Tvushinbayar Otgonbayar

Tvushinbayar Otgonbayar

Tvushinbayar Otgonbayar

Tuvshinbayer Otgonbayer, ETC. Editor

WS athletes can challenge any competitor they are faced with, but recently WS athletes have been fighting against the sun.

On a normal day, WS sports teams can be seen around the campus practicing for upcoming games after school, but in early September, the sun was so hot that the coaches had to reschedule practices to the morning.

In early September, temperatures reached as high as 97° Fahrenheit, and 88% humidity. Out of consideration for the students’ health, coaches have moved practices to the morning where temperatures could be as low as 50° Fahrenheit. Of course, WS athletes are both grateful for and dread to have morning practice

“I had to get up at five o’clock in the morning in order to get to practice for cross country this morning,” said senior Greg Johnson.

The WS Cross Country, Golf, and Football teams have been waking up as early as five o’ clock in order to participate in practice recently. But Johnson, along with many other athletes, would rather get up at five in the morning than be in 90° weather and get heatstroke.

But because of the early practices, some students believe practices have become slightly less fulfilling than practices in the afternoon.

“I think the practices have become shorter resulting in us not doing as many repetitions in our exercises and it has even cut our stretch time, “said Johnson.

But this is as expected because coaches do not have as much time to work with than in the afternoon, which results in them having to cut certain things from their ideal routine.

Having practices in the morning can also impact the rest of the rest of the school day for some.

“During Calculus today, I nearly passed out” said Johnson.

With temperatures finally falling and spooky October creeping up, morning practices will be a thing of the past.

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

Dancing on different paths

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

Varsity cheer makes history once again at VCU

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

Boys’ XC takes second

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

XC takes a run up to Rochester

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

Band inspires spirit

• Sports

Tiger Woods is back on the prowl

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

The worst week of summer

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

Boys flipping into cheer

• Morning practice? Blame the heat

Sports

Spartans claim baseball state championship

• Sports

Running in memory of Leslie Sherman

Morning practice? Blame the heat