Band inspires spirit

Photo courtesy of Abby Strong

At the annual Homecoming Pep Rally, the band plays to energize the student body. They earned acclaim for spirit during football season.

Abby Strong, Oracle Online Editor

Friday night lights. Maybe that phrase makes you think of watching football, enjoying the company of friends, and shouting cheers with the cheerleaders. But one key component to any football game experience is the band.

The WS Band performs during halftime at every home football game, and it can be found in the stands at every game encouraging the football team, and playing music to assist the crowd to cheer for the football team. The band is the backbone to getting the crowd excited for a game.

“The band hypes up the crowd to prepare them for the game,” said sophomore Chris Williams.

Prior to games and competitions, WS Band spends much of its time practicing after school or in the evening. A typical week’s practice consists of two to two and a half hours of practice three to four days a week. During practice, the band works to perfect its routines for competitions and works on practicing the music for football games. There is a focus on effective communication and working together to maximize the potential for its performances.

“There is a lot of teamwork and camaraderie involved,” said senior, baritone saxophone player Bari Jones.

Football games bring an exciting the end to a busy week of band’s practices. Some band members find the student section supportive as they play their instruments throughout the length of a game.

“We would still work hard no matter the student section’s response, but it’s encouraging to see our hard work pay off,” said senior, tuba player Abbigale Baker.

Band is also involved in other activities to get WS students into the Spartan spirit. During the Homecoming pep rally they played the students into and out of the gym to get them excited for the game the following night.

“They got the [students] ready for the game,” said Williams.

The band also works together to get each other hyped to play their instruments with certain rituals they do at the end of practice.

“At the end of practice we do dismissal, which is where the drum majors call out commands and the rest of the band responds,” said Baker.

WS band works to unite the students to get them excited about school activities, and foster school spirit.

“It’s pretty amazing watching the student section interact in the cheers which we get to be a part of,” said freshman, baritone player Hailey Gray.