XC takes a run up to Rochester

Back to Article
Back to Article

XC takes a run up to Rochester

Cross country runners Sean Stuck and Amy Herrema clown around at Niagra Falls. They went to McQuaid Invitational in New York in late September. Some runners missed the Homecoming dance to compete in Rochester instead.

Courtesy of Sean Stuck

Courtesy of Sean Stuck

Courtesy of Sean Stuck

Ryan Brewer, Managing Editor

While most students were preparing for Homecoming, the WS Cross Country team took a trip up to Rochester, New York to compete in the McQuaid Invitational. This is not the first time they have been to McQuaid, however, this is the first time that it has conflicted with Homecoming.

“It was a difficult decision to decide whether I wanted to attend to homecoming, or the meet. I went back and forth on it a couple of times but ultimately decided on going to the race”, said senior Matthew Foote.

For some runners the choice was clear from the beginning and required little thought.

“McQuaid is a really fast course and racing opportunity and I have already been to homecoming three times now,” said senior Casey Yenyo.

Those who decided to participate in the event not only missed the dance, but also all other homecoming festivities. This was disappointing for many of the runners.

“I was a little bit sad that we couldn’t go to the football game or the parade because to me those are more fun than the actual dance,” said junior Amy Herrema.

Although they missed the Homecoming festivities their dedication payed off. The woman’s team placed third overall in the event.

“The best part of McQuaid was that we finished third as a team, which was really exciting because we beat a couple of nationally ranked teams,” said Herrema.

Because of their dedication to the program the teams coach decided to take them to Niagara Falls as reparations for missing homecoming.

“Niagara Falls was a once in a life time opportunity, and its something that I will remember for the rest of my life,” said Foote.

The trip to Niagara Falls was a major indictment for some of the runners trying to decide whether they wanted to go or not.

“I was really excited for the opportunity to compete at McQuaid, but the trip to Niagara falls helped make the final decision for me”, said sophomore Sean Stuck.

Even though the athletes had to miss homecoming many believed it was worth it.

“I just love cross country, and away meets are always fun”, said Herrema.

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

Dancing on different paths

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

Varsity cheer makes history once again at VCU

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

Boys’ XC takes second

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

Band inspires spirit

• Sports

Tiger Woods is back on the prowl

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

The worst week of summer

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

Morning practice? Blame the heat

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

Boys flipping into cheer

• XC takes a run up to Rochester

Sports

Spartans claim baseball state championship

• Sports

Running in memory of Leslie Sherman

XC takes a run up to Rochester