Winter sports

Photo courtesy of @WSHSHockey_

The hockey team huddles together while a timeout is called on the ice during their game against Lake Braddock.

Harry Bolvin, Sports Editor

As memories of football, field hockey, and other fall sports begin to fade, students are preparing themselves for a new cycle of hard work and tough competition.

The beginning of every school year is marked by Friday night lights, but the midway point is full of sports that students are exuberant to go see as well. From swim and dive to ice hockey, students are preparing for a jam-packed winter sport season.

The new and improved gym will house many games this season. Sports like basketball, wrestling, and gymnastics will give students the opportunity to experience brand new gymnasium for the first season of its use with winter sports.

“I am really hyped to see the games in the new gym; it will make the atmosphere amazing,” said junior Daniel Susa.

Students plan to pack the stands for many upcoming games, a phenomenon that was already seen at many recent basketball games. Gymnastics, wrestling, and all winter sports hope to see the same kind of support all winter long for the seasons they have been looking forward to.

“I look forward to swim and dive season all year, and I cannot wait to dive in,” said Junior Ian Whitesel.

The winter track team is also excited for what is to come, especially after such a successful cross-country season.

“We hope to continue with this momentum to help us achieve qualifications for districts, regionals, states, and nationals,” said junior Chris Weeks.

Also, although they are not a school-sponsored team, the WS ice hockey team still draws large crowds to all their games. Instead of escaping the cold, students head toward it as large numbers attend each nail-biting event.

“I’m looking forward to going out and proving ourselves further with every game,” said senior Martin Torzewski. “I think we’ve shocked everybody in this league so far this season and with every win we can continue to do so.”