PF is not just for lifting

Back to Article
Back to Article

PF is not just for lifting

Senior Jeffery Beavers builds his upper body in his personal fitness class using the school's new dumbbells and equipment. Beavers has been part of the personal fitness program since sophomore year.

Harry Bolvin

Harry Bolvin

Harry Bolvin

Harry Bolvin and Zach Thompson, Sports and Assistant Viewpoint Editor

Those who have spotted Spartans dressed in athletic clothes stretching in the Sports Lobby may wonder what Personal Fitness entails.

For students who don’t have time to work out after school or who want to work out during the school day, the class provides a valuable opportunity to fit in some exercise. It also frees up time for sports, homework, and other extracurriculars.

Each class usually starts with a stretching routine, followed by a regularly-scheduled workout. Every student has their own folder with a plan of a set of five exercises to do over the course of two weeks. Prior to the workout, they begin with a warmup and stretching. After warm ups, they work out for 45 minutes to an hour before performing a cool down containing more stretching.

“We focus on more enjoyable aspects of staying fit like lifting and fun, competitive games,” said senior Michael O’Donnell.

While the class is fun, some students take Personal Fitness to challenge and push themselves toward a healthy and active lifestyle. The teachers try to create workouts that fit each of their students, while providing them with a challenge. Students who have taken the class for a while think it’s beneficial and offers a different curriculum.

“Personal fitness is a way to improve both physical and mental health during the school day, and it makes me more productive in class,” said junior Parris Dineen.

However, in Personal Fitness students don’t just work on individual improvement. Students participate in sports competitions as a way to apply their new fitness abilities.

So far, students have played volleyball and basketball and are currently in the middle of an indoor soccer season.

“I enjoy that the sports are fun to play while also providing good exercise and allow us to compete against fellow classmates,” said senior Sean O’Connor.

To keep Personal Fitness interesting, the class competes in sporting events on Fridays. After warmups, the work out will be shortened to fit in a quick but competitive game of basketball or other sports.

“It’s really fun to be on teams with people from other grades, and we have fun trying to win,” said sophomore Peter Montavon.

Personal Fitness is also an opportunity for the students that don’t have time to work out after school or want to work out during the school day, so they have more time for sports, homework, and other extracurriculars.

“Every Friday we stretch and do a quick workout, and then we go to the gym,” said Montavon.

Each class usually has a regular scheduled workout for each class along with a stretching routine prior. Every student has their own folder with a plan of a set of five exercises to do over the course of two weeks. Prior to the workout, they begin with a warmup and stretching. After warm ups, they work out for 45 minutes to an hour before performing a cool down containing more stretching.

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

New athletic facilities open

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

Spartan basketball postseason heats up

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

Winter sports

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

A Spartan Olympian returns to coach

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

Dancing on different paths

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

Varsity cheer makes history once again at VCU

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

Boys’ XC takes second

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

XC takes a run up to Rochester

• PF is not just for lifting

Sports

Band inspires spirit

• Sports

Tiger Woods is back on the prowl

PF is not just for lifting