Spartan basketball postseason heats up

Photo courtesy of @wspringspartans

The WS Girls’ Varsity basketball team walks off the court after securing a victory against Lake Braddock, earning themselves a first round bye at the district tournament. The final score of the game was a close 32-31, Spartans on top.

Mike Damiano, Assistant Sports Editor

The Spartan Varsity basketball postseason is far underway, and both the boys and girls are giving it their all. Following the regular season, each team moves on to conference games, followed by districts, then semi-regionals, regionals, and finally states. For now, the girls are currently still playing, advancing onto regionals, and the boys season recently came to a close.

The varsity girl’s began their season strong, with an impressive 10-1 record going into the beginning of the postseason. The girl’s have been dominating the competition, and are a top contender for the best team in the conference.

“I think our season is going really well. We are working hard in games and most importantly playing as a team,” said senior Alyssa Morroni.

The team has prepared and started their conference games off with a single loss to Fairfax, followed by a win against South County, the strongest competitor for the top spot.

“We didn’t start off as strong as we did in the pre season and unfortunately lost to Fairfax, but we have bounced back and beat South County on Tuesday, who was supposed to be the best in our conference. Things are looking up and I am confident in our capabilities to dominate the conference this season.” said senior Sydney Buckner.

The team is normally one of the best in the conference, and continuously show their teamwork, communication, and athletic dominance.

“I think our success comes from playing together as a team. We are really close this year and trust one another to make the right play or help each other on defense. Also I think our returning players learned a lot from playing together last year and are helping our new players improve everyday at practice to become a better and smarter team.” said senior Molly Sharman.

Now, the girls are preparing for regions, boasting an impressive 18-2 record after defeating South County again in the recent district semi-finals.

The varsity boy’s started off the season 2-10 before the postseason began, and were hopeful going into conferences after a rather rough start to the season. In the regular season the boys’ had many close losses, up to a two or three possession game where they could have brought the game back to a win.

“Our season hasn’t gone as we hoped so far. Key players haven’t been able to play and despite those injuries we are in every game and have lost multiple close games. We’re looking forward to getting some players back and getting better for the playoffs.” said senior Daniel Kim.

Even with these setbacks, the boys are staying positive and working their hardest to prepare for next season, as their season came to a close with a loss to Woodson in first round districts.

Their final record was 5-17, and are hopeful for what is to come next season.

“By playing well together and working hard in practice we can improve for next season.” said sophomore Austin Ohlmeyer.