Golf team in swing under new coach

Golf is off to hot start thanks to their strong group of upperclassmen

Photo courtesy of Corbin Lathrop

Junior Peter Montavon tees off during practice at Springfield Country Club. The Spartans are preparing for their postseason run after a strong regular season.

Zach Thompson, ETC Editor

Over the years, the West Springfield Golf Team has progressed from a struggling, upperclassmen oriented program, to a roster full of fresh, young talent ready to take the Patriot District by storm. Freshmen who had previously spent time on the developmental team are now on the top of their game as seniors. The potential of the team is on full display, and they came out of the gates hot, winning four out of their five matches.

“The team has been playing very well, but our last two matches are the two best teams in the district, so we will have to grind for the next two wins,” said senior Andrew Huemmer.

A big change this year lies in the coaching position. The new coach, Sung Moon, is the third coach the team has gone through in three years. With coaches stepping down and moving to new opportunities every year, the team is definitely looking for stability in the coaching department.

“It’s hard to adjust to a new coach, but I think he is great at improving the team morale and helping us get better,” said senior Will Kelly.

Coach Moon is in his first year coaching the team, and it is clear he is bringing success with him. The team has been divided into a competition team, and a developmental team, with 8 players on each. The team has even had improved chemistry under the new coach.

“Team members got along very well and followed my instructions very well so far,” said Coach Moon.

The short regular season came to an end quickly, with the team finishing with a 4-1 record and moving on to the playoffs. Their first challenge will come at districts, where the top six players from the team will face off against other teams.

“We won our last match against Lake Braddock by four strokes, and now we’re on to districts,” said junior Peter Montavon.

Not only is this year looking promising for the team, the team has a bright future with members from every grade level. The team will see the seniors who move on replaced by the next group of fresh talent.

“I am pretty sad to be in my final year of high school golf, I have played all four years and it’s crazy to think it is coming to an end. I believe the team has lots of potential to be really good,” said Huemmer.