Are students going to the right gym?

South Run

Barbell rating: three out of five

Cost
South Run’s cost can be seen as pretty good at $622 a year for the youth membership, which high school students can be eligible for. However, they also allow multiple people to join under a membership with a lower cost for the next person.
Hours
Their hours might be one of the biggest breaking points as they are 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. throughout the week and 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, which is not ideal for high school students who prefer to go later on weekends.
Cleanliness: Pretty clean, maintenance walks around a lot. Upstairs, members have to carry a rag with disinfectant to wipe off the machines they use.
Weights
They do have free weights that are accessible to everyone.
ETC.
At South Run, customers are not just getting a gym membership, they get full access to the whole recreation center. Members also get full access to any recreational center at select locations. They also offer a 30-day for $30 deal for new members, which can be valuable for people who may be unsure about the gym. However, amenities vary by location.
Pullquote Photo

“I like going to South Run because the locker rooms are nice, and they have a sauna, but their dumbbells always smell foul.”

— Matthew Chesser, junior

Planet Fitness

Barbell rating: three out of five

Cost
Planet Fitness’ cost varies between what membership one selects. Most high school students tend to reach for the Black Card membership due to its attractive features, such as access to tanning beds, salons and more health amenities for $25 a month. A regular membership can be purchased for as low as $10 a month.
Hours
Planet Fitness is open 24 hours every day, which is a pro compared to any gym that is not. This lets high schoolers go as early or as late as they want.
Cleanliness
They offer spray bottles and paper towels to wipe down each station.
Weights: They do not have free weights, which is a big deal breaker for most highschoolers.
ETC.
It gets really crowded, especially after school. The Black Card does not seem to be worth the money, because the eye-catching amenities of the tanning bed and Total Body Enhancement machine lose their novelty after a while. They do, however, offer the nice feature of being able to bring guests free of charge with no limit.

OneLife Fitness

Barbell rating: four and a half out of five

Cost
The costs vary depending on which membership one receives. OneLife Fitness offers the Burke Basic, starting at $39 a month and a $49 annual fee. The Burke Premier is $49 a month with a lot more amenities, such as access to the pool.
Cleanliness
OneLife notes that they installed an AirPHX and use that to sanitize and keep the space clean. From an outsider perspective, it looks pretty good, with carpet everywhere at the Burke location.
Weights
OneLife probably has the most variety of weights in the area. They have free weights, a Smith machine and more.
ETC.
Membership is really expensive, especially for high school students. Understandably, if a student’s parents have the membership and they decide to tag along, it may be viable. However, it costs an extra $10 per day. Premier members also do not get any extra passes for workout classes than the Basic membership offers. At OneLife, members get 15% off drinks, whereas at Planet Fitness, they offer 50% off.
Pullquote Photo

“I go to OneLife because they have really nice equipment and a lot of my friends and teammates go there, but I wish it was less crowded and had old-school metal plates.”

— Michael Thamasett, junior

Pullquote Photo

“I like going to OneLife because I like how nice the employees are, and the machines are always clean. They also have a really nice pool and sauna.”

— Hayden Carl, sophomore

Gold’s Gym

Barbell rating: three out of five

Cost
A Gold’s Gym membership costs $25 a month with a $89 cancellation fee.
Space
There is not much free space because there are many machines everywhere.
Cleanliness
It is fairly clean and well-kept. They do not enforce any use of cleaning products. The dynamic of the space causes people to be too close in proximity to others.
Weights
At Gold’s Gym, lots of machines are present with a decent amount of free weights.
ETC.
Only one employee is there. The gym does not have high security, so there could be a worry that a fox could get in. It is not realistic for students to be willing to drive all the way out to Gold’s Gym. It is pretty far from WS (5.3 miles) compared to Planet Fitness or OneLife, which are right down the street.