School lunch not all that and a bag of chips

Just five more minutes. Come on. Three more. Yes—only 5, 4, 3, 2, 1… Ring!

The bell dismissing you to go to lunch sounds, you’re so hungry that you practically race to the lunch line. But when you get your food, your appetite is immediately lost.

Okay, maybe our school lunches are not that gross or off-putting, but they don’t look especially tempting either. I mean, pizza that looks and tastes like cardboard is not so appealing.

Nevertheless, you can still eat the school’s lunches with the goal of them filling you up, right?

Now we all know school lunches won’t get much better in the near future but at the very least Congress is attempting to pass a bill to make school lunches healthier, so cross your fingers that these new healthy ingredients will mysteriously make the food taste better.

My point is not to condemn school lunches, but if they’re so bad, why do so many students continue to eat them day in and day out?

Although, from the perspective of a tried and true brown-bag lunch-bringer that occasionally buys cookies every now and then, all I have to say is that those cookies can be pretty tasty. Not that I’ve tried anything else  from the lunch line besides cookies, and have never had the inkling to, and probably never will.

But the thing that especially peeves students about school lunches is that you now have to pay 25 cents when you want hot water with your cup-o-noodles. Last time I checked, this was not a third world country so why do we now need to pay for water?

Anyway, the school has to be aware of the fact that students are just going to get around that. For example, students could just use water from the water fountain or use water from a water bottle and then rub elbows with one of their favorite teachers in order to use their microwave.

Another topic that bothers students is the fact that the school lunches simply aren’t vegan and vegetarian friendly. Students who are vegan or vegetarian all bring lunches because the school doesn’t offer a lot or enough choices for them to eat.

Still, these hungry students at WSHS have to eat something so until school lunches are vastly improved, we got to eat what’s given to us, and besides beggars can’t be choosers.