Not sure we ‘Idol’-ize new judges: Steven Tyler and Jennifer Lopez bring about a new era

I miss my angry British man in a deep-v telling people how bad they are at singing.

I can honestly tell you that Simon Cowell was the only reason I watched the horse and pony show that is American Idol.  Now they have replaced my favorite part of the show with a man who has a smile bigger than the Joker from Batman. Granted, Steven Tyler does have potential to be as cool as Cowell, but the lack of a British accent really leaves a lot to be desired.

Even though I thought at the beginning of the season that the new judges wouldn’t be able to live up to the hurtful style of Cowell, they have proven me wrong. Tyler is much more blunt and cruel than Cowell was-one time, Tyler even took a microphone from a girl who wasn’t the best performer.

Jennifer Lopez has effectively replaced Paula Abdul as the “sweet” judge on the show. At the start of the season she had a lot of trouble rejecting singers that were clearly not cut out for the show just because she didn’t want to hurt their feelings.

At least this year all the judges do have respectable qualifications. All three have musical backgrounds, as opposed to last year when Ellen DeGeneres was a judge. She had no place judging other people on how well they could sing. This year, Idol got it together and got two reputable singers with well-decorated careers in the music industry.

The show has taken a turn for the worse with only one of the three original judges left on the show. It has changed from a singing competition to “how many Ford commercials can we squeeze into a two hour time period.” I do enjoy the occasional freak that is trying to sing on the show; however, with the thousands of people trying to sing on the show they could feature a few more good singers to outweigh the bad.

All in all, I will still tune into the final show of the season to see who takes it all and becomes Americas Idol (for a year).