Students learn leadership skills from West Point cadets

Our society is centered around morals, but very few really get a chance to perfect them and learn from their peers.

Recently at George Mason University, four students gathered at the West Point Leadership Conference to strengthen their leadership skills and views on ethics.

Only four students could be chosen from WS to attend. These four were then put into groups with other students from other schools. Each group was led by a West Point Cadet and given scenarios of moral situations that they could come by in their high school careers.

“We are working with completely random people for a common goal,” said junior Andrew Skibicki, who attended the West Point Conference.

Skibicki, along with juniors Mary Schmauder, Brian Le and Nicole Brigham, were the WS representatives.

WS wasn’t the only school to attend; Many schools in the DC area including some from Richmond attended.

“It was a good experience to see how other school [show leadership],” said Le. “You get to meet new people.”

Not only did the participants get to learn from the West Point Cadets and their peers, they also got a chance to perform a scenario and act it out with their groups. The performances were then judged on originality, morals, and that all team members were involved.

“We performed a skit,” said Schmauder. “My group won second place.”

The focus of the event was on morals and ethics as well as leadership. The scenarios and skits were to help the participants figure out what they would do if there were in that situation in a fun way. This was the fourth time the conference was held and many students found it very rewarding.

“If you are an outgoing student you will love it,” said Le, who believed it was an experience for those who love to interact with their peers.

Le wasn’t the only one to enjoy this unique experience. This one day trip had a lot to offer to everyone who participated weather it was making friend or getting to talk to the West Point Cadets. The whole event helped the students see their world in a new way.

“My favorite part was probably working to make the presentation,” said Skibicki. “[It was] a really hands-on experience.”

Lately it has been hard to in get real leadership experiences for the dreaded college applications. Many of the programs are really competitive and only let in a few amount of people. The West Point Leadership Conference is still new but offers leadership experience that will also help students learn how their peers view ethics and morals.

“Everyone had to come together to talk about what is right and wrong,” said Schmauder.