PC might not always be OK

Remember 1984? In that totalitarian society, everyone spoke a common language called Newspeak. If you think about it, that classic greatly reflects today’s political correctness.

Miguel Terrazas, Sports Editor

This generation is certainly different compared to other generations. We have more access to technology than ever before, thus opening our minds to heaps of new information every day.
Although we can certainly call ourselves stellar, there’s one thing that is certainly on everyone’s mind: how easily this generation is offended, even by the slightest tick-off.
Back in the day, throwing it back to the 1950s-60s, that generation was certainly strong-willed and hard-headed. Keep in mind that they used slang and terminology that would be considered as racist remarks and just flat out a hateful mentality. That now senior generation also wasn’t as open-minded as this generation currently is.
Fast forward to 2015, and one must watch out what comes out of his mouth, for a bystander who may not have the slightest importance to your life will have the urge blurt out, “ That’s racist!!”
For certain slang words that are tossed around occasionally, sure, let it be that. But for other words that identify a person’s heritage, such as Mexicans or Chinese, that’s a whole other issue. The person who says those words isn’t necessarily racist in the least bit, but what they really need is an education on culture.
Not all Hispanics are Mexicans, and not all Asians are Chinese. Open up a book once in a while and learn something new. You may be in for a huge surprise once you do find out.
Remember the book 1984, by George Orwell? In that sad totalitarian society, everyone spoke a common language called Newspeak. If you think about it, that classic greatly reflects the political correctness of this generation in the United States.
According to the Web site InfoWars, the Missouri State Fair recently banned a rodeo clown from performing because he was wearing an Obama mask, and now all of the other rodeo clowns are required to take “sensitivity training.”
Another example would be that a high school track team was disqualified earlier this year because one of the runners made “a gesture thanking God.”
The list of, in my opinion, absurdities goes on, because of this generation’s political correctness.
Think about it. It’s really like a domino effect. The more sensitive/politically correct this generation gets, there lies a rather dim future for generations on the rise.
Referring back to 1984, if the United States continues down the path that it’s already on, we eventually could have totalitarian government that could have the power to drag a person to jail for saying the wrong thing.