Policy is a whirlwind

Blown away by new tornado drill rules

Photo courtesy of Brittany Norris

Brittany Norris, Oracle Editor

Imagine you’re sitting in your trailer, admiring the view out the somewhat existent windows, when suddenly an alarm blares—it’s a tornado.
Your first instinct is to duck and cover, right? Wrong. According to FCPS policy during renovations, all students and teachers must enter the main building during a tornado. Translation: you’re going to be dodging flying bulldozers and construction workers blowing through the sky while you run for your life.
What kind of person in their right mind would send children treacherously trekking through 80-plus miles per hour winds with flying debris? It’s a recipe for disaster.
On the other hand, staying in a trailer during a tornado isn’t ideal either. Either way, we’re probably not going to live to see the next day. Honestly though, that means we aren’t going to have to spend another second of our time in those godforsaken “learning cottages.” So maybe it’s a win-win?
Depending on how you look at it, we’re all put into the same position. We’re all forced to escape Sparta and (hopefully) find an open door to escape from the tornado.
Realistically, this “plan” that they seem to have can be considered catastrophic and detrimental to the students and teachers of WS.
Even if everyone does find safety in the building, Sparta will most likely be carried away along with our hopes and dreams of a new and improved WS. We’ll all be back to square one having to deal with the falling ceilings and non-existent English and Math hallway, still wondering where the heck the staircase is, and all students being squished into a smaller version of our beloved school.
This may all be an extreme interpretation of what could possibly happen in the event of a tornado, but WS can still be considered a hazard bringing the people of it into a natural disaster. People could die or be seriously injured if this actually did happen. Tornados move faster than most people think, and could be sitting in our so-called parking lot awaiting the innocent students before we can even open the door to our trailer.
Even though Virginia doesn’t get as many tornados as the Midwest, there’s still a chance that it could happen. The chance of a tornado coming about and students having to endanger their lives all due to renovations seems silly and honestly a chance that not a lot of people are willing to take.