Pro The most wonderful time of the year

Photo courtesy of Marie Laverdiere

Whether you are going to a relative’s house, going on vacation or just staying at home with your family, anyone can find ways to enjoy Christmas, like freshman Alyssa Maryonopolis.

Marie Laverdiere, Oracle Editor

Christmas is always the most wonderful time of the year.
Come every September 20th, WS students began seeing Christmas decorations for sale in grocery stores and in front of churches. Costco had an array of Christmas trees ready to go for any anxious elves excited to start the season early.
Because of its treasured holiday spirit, the Christmas deserves a lengthy celebration—in fact, it deserves an interminable season.
From the comforting children’s songs, to the satisfying Hallmark movies, Christmas has an ability to make us relax and enjoy time with the people around us. During Christmas time, families are reunited so that they can rekindle their relationships and catch up on the happenings of their lives. Some families celebrate the joyful season by hosting holiday parties, and others go into DC to watch a play or concert. Regardless of what the event is, Christmas time stimulates outings with friends and leisure time at home.
Of course, it would be impossible for anyone to be on an unending Christmas vacation because work must get done and day-to-day obligations must be fulfilled. However, it would be wonderful if there was a constant reminder of joy and peace in people’s day-to-day lives, if there was a little bit of December 25th throughout the year.
Therefore, I propose a yearlong FM radio Christmas station.
The contentment that comes with Christmas sprouts from its spirited songs and happy hymns. There are uppity renditions of Jingle Bells, and soft melodies of Silver Bells; the variety of songs reaches out to all types of people.
For those of us who are extraverts, hearing “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” might be just the right sing-along to stimulate our laughter after a tense day; and those of us who are introverts can settle down to the soft beat of “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.”
Christmas songs bring people happiness and love. By encouraging good vibes, these tunes challenge us to slow down, listen and appreciate the people around us. What better way to relax after a hard day of AP tests and quizzes than by bundling up in a blanket with hot chocolate and a warm fireplace, while listening to Mariah Carey sing?
Let’s make an effort to carry the Christmas spirit with us everywhere we go. As Charles Dickins proved in his classic, A Christmas Carol, the holiday can only make us happier.
In the words of Ebenezer Scrooge, “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.”