Construction: get over it, WS

Students+make+the+trek+to+and+from+Sparta+through+puddles%2C+dust%2C+and+loud+noises.+In+times+like+these%2C+we+must+remember+that+the+hardships+we+face+now+will+soon+help+future+Spartans.+

Photo courtesy of Lisi Bradshaw

Students make the trek to and from Sparta through puddles, dust, and loud noises. In times like these, we must remember that the hardships we face now will soon help future Spartans.

Lisi Bradshaw, Scoop Editor

As the year progresses, one would think the novelty of construction would have worn off by now. However, that has not been the case with WS students.
Construction continues to be a common point of conversation even after the school day is over.
With constant tweets, memes, and even social media accounts for construction equipment, I just have one question for the student body: why is this still a thing?
Sure, it was understandable and even sometimes funny when the construction site called WS was a novel experience, but by the start of the second semester construction mishaps were not a source of unfamiliarity.
At this point in the year none of the “crazy” experiences we’ve gone through should be surprising to anyone. The constant memes about inclement weather have been far outdone, with social media being bombarded with duplicates of the same tweet anytime there’s even a slight change in the weather. #CloseFCPS loses its potency if it’s used every time there’s a light drizzle or a snowflake on your weather app.
Snapchat was not created so you can document your daily construction lamentations. It’s gotten to the point where I see the crane more on a daily basis than I see my own family. Stories have become a constant relay of the same exact thing over and over and over: a picture of the crane with some cheesy caption saying something about what a great day it is to be at West Springfield. We get it. Our school is a construction site. Fascinating. At least put some variety into your “daily crane pic.”
Now with regards to the actual unusual things that have happened; the infamous (or famous, depending on who you talk to) equipment fire, the lack of water, the freezing water, and the awning flying off of the trailer.
Some of these have been understandably fussed about. Fire and flying metal are both pretty dangerous occurrences. But about the water, stuff happens.
They can’t cancel school every time we experience a slight inconvenience. Half of a day without water may not have been pleasant, but hey, we all survived. Some of these things really aren’t as bad as students make them out to be.
WS has always been, in a word, unique. Its dilapidated building was the butt of jokes years before construction was even brought into our vocabulary here at WS. And while the construction and trailers may be an inconvenience to us right now, it has to be done at some point in order to ensure that the building doesn’t just collapse on the faculty and staff all together. And hey, it sure will make for some great stories when we’re older.