Want to park on school grounds? Too bad, so sad.

Expect a parking ticket in the event of illegal parking.  Parking without a permit also warrants a ticket.  Tickets can be $30 or more.

Expect a parking ticket in the event of illegal parking. Parking without a permit also warrants a ticket. Tickets can be $30 or more.

Kiera Bothwell

Kiera Bothwell

Kiera Bothwell, Managing Editor Business/Systems

One of the biggest struggles students have had to deal with during renovations is the very unfortunate lack of parking.
Prior to this school year, WS administration admonished students there would be no parking for the 2016-17 school year. Instead, when fall rolled around, Spartans found there would be limited parking available to well-deserving seniors. Through the selection process, a limited number of seniors were deemed worthy of purchasing a senior parking spot, which clearly isn’t alleviating the concerns of the rest of the student body that wants to drive to school.
Throughout the course of the year, WS students, including myself, have found sly ways to park at WS without a parking pass. Only recently have WS administration and security officers caught on to our sneaky ways.
With the recent discovery of illegal parking, security officers have resorted to ticketing unwarranted cars on WS property. The ticket consists of a thirty dollar fee that goes to the security office and must be paid in order to graduate, whatever year that may be.
At first, it seems pretty ridiculous for one’s own school to fine him or her for going to school. So shouldn’t WS focus on punishing students for not going to school rather than parking at the school to attend?
Unfortunately, as unfair as it may seem to get fined for parking on WS grounds, it’s even more unfair for teachers and students that have the quite popular parking passes. It’s really just an unfortunate situation that Spartans have to deal with during the restoration process.
If you look on the bright side of things, the money that parking violators stubbornly pay, funds the WS security office for more parking tickets, among other things as well. WS students are sadly funding the tickets that are used against our desperate parking needs.
Obviously, the problem would not be so immense if there was a better off-campus parking solution. A thirty dollar fine seems insignificant compared to the towing threats on neighboring streets around school property.
So, the big question is if we should continue to illegally park or stop this nonsense. I mean, if the occasional thirty dollar charge doesn’t put a dent in the wallet, why not? Maybe WS students can also benefit from just being a little sneakier.

• Want to park on school grounds? Too bad, so sad.

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

Building trust

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up