Spartans, let’s get a little (less) rowdy at games

Photo courtesy of Anthony Tsantrizos

Football games are fun to be a part of as an audience member, but some Spartans at WS take it too far and try to make themselves the focus instead of players or performers.

Molly Haynes, Oracle Staff Writer

It’s football season, and we all know that means the hype squad is back in business!
At this point, it’s common knowledge that the student section is organized by grade, with seniors in the front and freshmen in the back. What some people don’t seem to understand is that regardless of grade, no one likes having food and water thrown at them.
During the first home football game of the season, I had the pleasure of standing next to a boy who continually asked his friends give him half eaten food and trash so that he could throw it at the freshmen.
I realize that booing the freshmen at pep rallies is a rite of passage, but throwing food at them is not; that’s harassment. These freshmen come out to support the football program and their school, and what they get in return is burrito pieces in their hair and clothes stained with ketchup. Believe it or not, freshmen are people too. But it’s not only freshmen who are subject to this. Two of my senior friends were hit smack dab in the face with an entire pickle. It bounced from one head to the other violently.
My first question is: why do people even have entire pickles? My second is: why would you think it’s okay to throw them at people? Really, I thought it was taught in kindergarten that throwing food isn’t acceptable, but apparently some people didn’t pay attention.
Food thrown around the student section isn’t the only problem. There are about three rows in front of the bleachers where there is room for standing only and people willingly choose to stand there during games. They have no problem standing where there are no seats for the first half of the game, but once halftime comes around they become extremely adamant about being able to sit down.
They’re so adamant that they will yell at the entire student section to back up so they can sit. They don’t just yell at the beginning of halftime, but they continue to yell at people throughout the entire dance team performance.
Not only is that rude and disrespectful to the dance team, but there are also people in the student section who actually want to see the performance but are literally unable to because of this. Apparently, moving to where there are actually seats during half time is too much for them and the rest of the student section has to suffer because of it.
The student section’s apparent claim to fame is to support the Spartans, but they are also the people who are the most disrespectful to them.
All I want is to watch the football game and halftime performances without getting yelled at for standing somewhere and getting food chucked at me. Is that too much to ask?