#MeToo’s effects are starting to be seen around the country

%23MeToo+has+become+the+rallying+cry+on+social+media+platforms+to+speak+out+against+sexual+harassment+and+abuse.+

Photo courtesy of Pixabay

#MeToo has become the rallying cry on social media platforms to speak out against sexual harassment and abuse.

Emma Phillips, Oracle Online Editor

The 2017 Time Magazine Person of the year was not an individual, but rather a group of women, fighting sexual harassment with the #MeToo movement, in which women share their stories of harassment, violence, and abuse to show others that they are not alone. The movement’s media attention and overwhelming support from celebrities has caused the topic of sexual violence to trickle down all the way into communities like Fairfax County.
The women and men speaking out are holding abusers and harassers accountable while setting the standard for places of work, homes, and the streets. Sexual assault has always been a prevalent topic; we know it happens. However, #MeToo is not letting the victims and their stories be swept under the rug, especially stories from those who experienced harassment long ago and were afraid of backlash.
The horrific incidents in the stories are raising the question, why now? #MeToo is about ending the stigmas and consequences that keep women from coming forward. They are falsely told it was their fault. Sexual harassment can be so normalized that people think that it’s just the way it is. Some men are not told they are wrong, so they continue to use their power to their advantage. In most cases, abusers and harassers merely get a slap on the wrist, like Brock Turner’s three months in jail after being convicted on three accounts of sexual assault, while the victim faces a lifetime of trauma and anguish. These frightening factors of sexual assault make the issue seem hard to tackle alone. That is exactly why women of all ages and backgrounds are saying that they too know what it is like to go through it.
Each story is encouragement for the next woman, and some are even motivated enough to expose the abuser to the public, which has caused many people to be fired, step down from positions, and face prosecution.
Still, it’s hard to tell whether there will be real consequences for offenders. On the other end of #MeToo is informing young people on sexual assault and violence through school curriculum. #MeToo perhaps sparked a push for prevention. Fairfax County recently updated its curriculum to focus more on sexual harassment and violence.
“The Family Life Education Curriculum Advisory Committee started the conversation in the 14-15 school year in response to issues being widely discussed in the media,” said Fairfax County Public Schools Coordinator for Health, Family Life, and Physical Education, Elizabeth Payne.
While schools across the country might be vying to catch up their curricula because of widespread sexual assault allegations forefronted by the #MeToo movement, Fairfax County was quick to update theirs in response to the topic a few years ago. Health and P.E. teachers like Brian Puhlick are glad they have these standards in the curriculum to back them up when informing students.
“It’s a hot topic and awareness needs to be emphasized,” said Pulick.
Because of the #MeToo movement, students might be sensitive to the issue when learning about it in the classroom. Furthermore, the movement might influence students to speak up themselves in the classroom.
“More students will be vocal. Their awareness will be higher than it was in the past,” said Puhlick.
It is important that teachers can get the significance of the message across, even though they are bound to the curriculum put in place for them.
When it comes to teaching about sexual assault and harassment, #MeToo has helped to familiarize students with the consequences of this crime.
“A lot of kids think of physical abuse but not emotional or financial,” said WS teacher Amy Schiffer.
FCPS teachers are thankful they are able to touch on the issues at all because with #MeToo comes a lot of guilt and questioning what someone could have done to prevent the harm.
“Teachers have remarked that they feel it is important instruction and glad to have the resources and opportunity to discuss this with students,” said Payne.
It’s easy to feel like the task of defeating sexual assault, abuse, and harassment is impossible when the world is bombarded with so many women speaking out. Some quick reactions include calling women sensitive and feeling like every move made has to be censored to avoid making others feel uncomfortable, especially in the workplace. #MeToo is much deeper than that. The inner workings of society need changing, and it starts with education. #MeToo is not about not being able to give a woman a compliment because they could accuse you of harassment. The Time Magazine acclaimed women have real stories that will affect them for the rest of their lives.
“It’s not easy to be discussed even though it needs to be discussed,” said Puhlick.