Women’s Month: A cause for celebration

Back to Article
Back to Article

Women’s Month: A cause for celebration

Woman take part in a march on D.C. following the election of President Donald Trump. Protest were all around the country in different cities. As Woman's Month is upon us the principle for which they rallied for should be remembered: equality.

Washington Post

Washington Post

Washington Post

Katelynn Rodriguez, Managing Business Editor

Look to your left and your right, and thank the woman next to you. She has been undermined, hurt, and discriminated against; nevertheless, she persisted.
March is National Women’s History Month, and when commemorate those who fought, fight, and will fight for the ignored entitlements of women. From Sojourner Truth to Malala Yousafzai, women’s rights activists have allowed us to enter an era where women are proud to be themselves. We can now ignore the discouragement and judgment over wanting to exceed our perceptual expectations.
It is still frustrating that many men and women continue to argue against the ability and determination of women. Even as a children, boys continue to tease girls on how they are stronger, faster, and overall better. Today, I see those young girls agreeing with that statement, and it is saddening.
‘Nevertheless, she persisted’ is this year’s theme for National Women’s History Month. This is our time to finally show that women are much more than pretty faces. Over time, small numbers of women have taken small steps in enhancing the ability of women.
This National Women’s History Month I honor Susan B. Anthony, a women’s suffragist, Rosa Parks, a civil rights activist, Amelia Earhart, the first female pilot to fly solo across the Atlantic; Oprah Winfrey, an American philanthropist, actress, media proprietor, and producer, and many more. I find it empowering to live in an age where there are many powerful women fighting for the betterment of women’s lives in America, yet their messages continue to not be heard.
In 2015, the gender wage gap for full time working women was 80 cents for every man’s dollar, but the gap increases when minorities are considered. Studies in 2017 concluded that teachers give more attention to boys in certain subjects than girls. Personally, I would like to know how this discrimination is being justified because I cannot find an excusable reason. Both men and women need to join together in the fight against gender discrimination because this is very real. Nevertheless, we will persist, and we will make history.

• Viewpoint

Voters should strive to be well – informed

• Women’s Month: A cause for celebration

Viewpoint

The value of ethical journalism

Viewpoint

Too old to trick or treat

Viewpoint

As a quarter ends, Spartans struggle with stress

• Viewpoint

Locked door policy opens new problems

Viewpoint

Art murals brought individuality to WS

Viewpoint

Gossiping isn’t a good thing at WS

Viewpoint

Gun Control: Con

Viewpoint

Gun Control: Pro

Viewpoint

Sea World faces controversy

Women’s Month: A cause for celebration