After You a riveting sequel by Jojo Moyes

Jojo Moyes’ sequel to Me before you focuses on Lou’s life in London after she had to leave her hometown behind.

Photo courtesy of The Independent

Sara Waugh, Viewpoint Editor

A young couple falling in love, despite the odds. Something stands in their way, preventing them from achieving their happily ever after. Suddenly, tragedy strikes. The audience is left at the edge of their seats, wondering if it’s meant to be. Although After You, by Jojo Moyes, is the sequel to what sounds like your typical love story, it has a much deeper meaning.
The novel tells the struggles of Louisa Clark as she learns to cope with the loss of Will Traynor, the man she was a caregiver for and also her lover. Louisa’s personality is expanded on from the first book in the series, Me Before You, as she embarks on her quest to once again find happiness.
To fulfill Will’s request, Louisa tries to carry on with her daily life. At first, she can only think about the immense emptiness she feels since his death. Although the book starts off extremely gloomy, it lightens up with the introduction of more characters. After many sleepless nights, she discovers a shocking secret that turns her world upside down.
When Lily, a rebellious teenage girl, shows up at her door, Louisa’s life is forever altered. Lily’s energy lifts Louisa’s saddened spirits, even if that means Louisa must deal with a moody high school dropout. As they put everything together, they realize they have more in common than they ever suspected.
Being around Lily’s constant lust for adventure restores Louisa’s passion for life. As the plot progresses, Louisa becomes more willing to take risks. Whether those risks are taken in her social life or her work life, they provide for a great laugh. After deciding that she is ready, Louisa goes on several dates, some so cringe-worthy, they put the Irving Eighth Grade Formal to shame.
Don’t read this if you are looking for a romcom to accompany your pizza, ice cream and Netflix night in. These pathetic dates that Louisa goes on will not leave you with tears rolling down your face the way The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks, might. You may, however, shed a tear or two as you watch Louisa develop into a more resilient and independent person. The ultimate takeaway from Louisa’s struggles is that there is always something positive in your life, it may just have to show up at your front door for you to see it.