Langley continues journey to lifelong learning

There are few true masters that emerge from our short academic careers.

Safety and Security Assistant Jesse Langley is in the process of earning a Master’s Degree in Psychology.

“I didn’t know [getting my Master’s] was going to be like this, but it’s fun,” said Langley.

The process of earning a Master’s Degree can take up to two or even six years to complete, and it basically shows you have a higher understanding of the certain field you are studying.

Langley has been working towards his Master’s Degree in Psychology at the University of Maryland after a student asked him about his experience at college.

“I [had] to reflect on what I was asked, and that day I decided to go to college,” said Langley.

After that it was all up hill.

He went to a seminar held by noted psychologist Dr. Bruce Tuckman and was motivated to study psychology after he heard about Dr. Tuckman’s theory of group development and behavior.

The theory, in simplest terms, starts with the group getting together, then a conflict arising in the group, then an agreement amongst the group, and then ending with the group’s performance.

All of the steps are classified in stages which are called forming, storming, norming and performing.

Although Langley has been using his time to earn his Master’s Degree, he still has time to coach, train and compete in running events.

In addition to all of this, Langley zooms from end-to-end of the campus on his golf cart, working hard in keeping our school safe.

Golf carts aside, Langley works through whatever obstacle is in front of him.

“I make it a challenge to do the best that I can do,” said Langley, “I’ve learned that you’ve got to attack it.”

This is a life lesson we should all learn to follow, especially in school, but hopefully not too literally or we’re going to have a lot of students pouncing on books.

This just goes to show that anyone can benefit from going back to school, no matter his or her age.

“They call it a path to lifelong learning,” said Langley.