WS introduces prayer space for Muslim students

At 1:10 p.m., a variety of Muslim students come together to devote themselves to God in the newly designated prayer space located in the library. “Its a huge upgrade considering what we had in the past years,” said Akhtar.
Photo courtesy of Abdur Raghib
At 1:10 p.m., a variety of Muslim students come together to devote themselves to God in the newly designated prayer space located in the library. “It’s a huge upgrade considering what we had in the past years,” said Akhtar.

A prayer space was recently designated in the library, for Muslim students to pray and fulfill their religious obligations.

Previously, there was no official prayer space for Muslim students and more than 40 students had to miss prayer due to the lack of accessibility.

“Last year, we had to switch up rooms so much. I remember we had a tiny projector room that nobody could fit in,” said senior Hareem Akhtar.

As a part of their faith, Muslims traditionally pray five times a day. This can pose a challenge for students seeking to satisfy their noon prayer during school hours, though with the newly revised area in the library, Muslim students are able to pray in peace.

Photo courtesy of Skyler Milan

“The five prayers we do daily are all at different times of the day, and one of them is in the afternoon, which is why we meet up to pray at 1:10 p.m.,” said senior Abdur Raghib.

The blocks of school schedules sometimes require Muslim students to leave class 10 minutes early or may have some students come back to class 10 minutes late, leading to the development of a “prayer pass.”

“There is a pass that isn’t always required, but is good to have so teachers and staff can trust you,” said sophomore and Muslim Student Association (MSA) officer Hamza Elashry. 

Despite the passes, misunderstandings have arisen between teachers and Muslim students  regarding tardiness due to prayer.

“I came back to class 10 minutes late after a Friday prayer because there’s a sermon before prayer. I tried to go to the bathroom, but the teacher wouldn’t let me and got mad,” said Raghib.

With regard to these incidents, students have also acknowledged the understanding nature of teachers. 

“When I asked my teachers if I could leave to pray, I was nervous, but all my teachers have been really sweet and really understanding, especially during Ramadan,” said Akhtar. 

Not only that, the librarians have been very welcoming and happy to help provide the space for the students to carry out their religious rights. 

“I wish there was a more private space for them but if this works, good,” said librarian Ché Ferch-Jablonski. “I’m glad they’re able to have a place where they feel comfortable where they can come and pray.”

The library is open to all Muslim students and obtaining a pass is highly recommended if you’d like to pray during school hours. “You can obtain a pass by asking Muslim Student Association sponsor Austin Hollar, or by asking one of us officers,” said Elashry. (Photo courtesy of Hamza Elashry)

The establishment of a prayer space in the library marks a significant development for Muslim students.

“I definitely appreciate having our own allotted section to pray. Some may think it’s kind of the bare minimum,” said Raghib “I think it’s better than nothing, and usually, we’re accustomed to having nothing.” 

The library, described by students as a tranquil space, has a corner transformed into an area where rugs are laid out, for students to gather for devotion. This new space for prayer has received appreciation from students and a welcoming spirit from the librarians.

Last year’s prayer room was a huge issue, we would have to switch up the room so much I remember. So having a set place to pray is really good.

— senior Hareem Akhtar